The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN (superficial): Salon des Vignerons Indépendants at Paris

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN (superficial): Salon des Vignerons Indépendants at Paris

by Tim York » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:34 am

I have been complaining at the lack of tasting opportunities since I arrived in Normandy so I jumped at the tickets for this Salon which coincided with a trip to Paris to pick up my son, Robin, at Orly. I had other things to do so I only spent 2-3 hours there. In the event I could have stayed longer because I had forgotten the speed and efficiency of the Paris métro system which left me with time on my hands at the end of the day.

The event appeared well organised though on the last day, a Monday, there was probably less of a crowd than at the weekend. There were a vast number of stands, of which I only visited 5.

There were considerable efforts to facilitate purchases which I did not sample but have no reason to believe were inefficient. There was an Aire d'Enlèvement with porters for those with cars and a special arrangement for making up assorted cases for delivery to homes anywhere in France at €3/dozen for total quantities of 3 dozen and over. I was sorely tempted to make up 3 dozen from the stands where I tasted and was only restrained by not yet having solved the wine storage issue. Some people appeared to be buying a lot of wine; I saw several caddies loaded with cases and people struggling towards the métro with loads far greater than I would want to carry on public transport.

With limited time, I only visited stands of estates with familiar names although part of the interest of such an event is to make new discoveries.

They were -

C&P Breton from (mainly) Bourgueil
Charles Joguet, Chinon
Rolet, Jura
Gavoty, Provence
Annette Leccia, Patrimonio - Corsica

I found the Loire reds from 2011 and 2012 better than I expected with those from Breton in a leaner, more focussed style and the Joguets fuller and more generous. Stars were Breton's St.N Bourgueil Les Perrières 2010 and Joguet's Chinon Dioterie 2011 and white Clos de la Plante Martin 2011 which will shortly qualify for the Chinon appellation.

Rolet has an enormous range and amongst their whites I had a preference for those containing Savagnin which added tang and grip. Amongst their reds Trousseau 2009 stood out with structure and length added to the original flavours.

I have tasted this Gavoty range at Brussels but this time I preferred the refreshing and quite complex Clarendon whites from 2013 and 2011 made from Rolle to the very tannic Clarendon Syrah based 2005 red. Roselyne Gavoty claims that the whites can age beautifully for some 10 years. (Clarendon was the pen name of her uncle who was a famous classical music critic writing in le Figaro.)

The Leccia range from appellation Patrimonio was an experience of new Mediterranean flavours for me and I was particularly struck by the Nielluccio baased reds with their combination of red fruit with spice and tar notes. The Pietra Bianca 2010 cuvée (c€22) was particularly fine showing more elegance, structure and aromatic expression than the basic 2010 and 2007 cuvées.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN (superficial): Salon des Vignerons Indépendants at Paris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:07 am

Nice report Tim. Love the line about crates of wine going onto the Metro :D . In-house PO must have been surprised you did not try to smuggle in cases of wine!!
Breton and Joquet.. I am very envious. And you know I am a Rolet fan.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN (superficial): Salon des Vignerons Indépendants at Paris

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 am

Nice. I remember some good times at this event. If I recall correctly, the overwhelming majority of producers are not of interest and do provide rather cheap wine for people to buy in large quantities. But given the size of the event there are more than enough good producers to fill a couple of hours.