The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Senoria de P. Pecina Rioja Reserva,

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2005 Senoria de P. Pecina Rioja Reserva,

by JC (NC) » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Rioja Alta, Spain. I had a glass of this with lamb shoulder in Cabernet jus at Aureole Restaurant (Charlie Palmer) in NYC. It is from a producer who was vineyard manager at La Rioja Alta and is described by K&L Wines as a classic-style Rioja. It was crimson-purple in color with viscosity and displayed some gentle earthiness along with attractive dark fruits. It is starting to drink really well. I was very pleased with it (although wines by-the-glass and other beverages are marked up pretty high at this quality restaurant.) I finished my dinner with a Hennessy VSOP Cognac. I don't have much experience in describing Cognac but did enjoy a nuttiness in the flavors. The restaurant also offered about five or six ryes including the Rittenhouse which was one Jenise tried. I was tempted to try the Sazerac straight rye. (I started my meal with a spring asparagus salad and finished with an assortment of tastes of six sorbets. I only finished two of the sorbets, my favorites being the passion fruit and next to that the mixed berry. They also offered mango, grapefruit, coconut and chocolate.) In addition there was an amuse bouche, a sorbet of some kind as palate cleanser (tasty) and an assortment of tiny pastries. Of the plate of eight minute pastries I had one mini-cream puff and one almond something. I passed on the mango candy and the chocolate truffle. My thought was what a lot of work that must be for the pastry chef to make those tiny, tiny cream puffs! Oh, and they send diners away with a package of chouchou (chocolate covered pralines and almonds.)
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Senoria de P. Pecina Rioja Reserva,

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:20 am

Jane - was this in the main restaurant or the more casual cafe? If I remember correctly, they have a beautiful bar and would have been a perfect place to give in to temptation and order a Sazerac.
Diane
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:02 pm

I've been impressed by the Riojas from Pecina. :D Here in CA they are distributed by Farm Wines, Dressner's co.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:56 am

Lou Kessler wrote:I've been impressed by the Riojas from Pecina. :D Here in CA they are distributed by Farm Wines, Dressner's co.

Ditto!

My pal, Gert Claes, briefly imported them into Belgium before he sold his business to a guy who apparently discontinued them. A pity but maybe their classical style with absence of the spectacular did not appeal to the "average" Flemish consumer.

Fat chance of finding any here :( .
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Diane, it was in the main restaurant on Saturday evening, my second time dining at Aureole (I have been to Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg, CA three or four times and have always enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere.)