The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1970 Pontet-Canet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1970 Pontet-Canet

by Jenise » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Within the range of possibilities for a 44 year old bottle, this was not a great bottle but indeed a very very okay bottle. Especially for one whose saturated cork disappeared into the bottle at the very first poke from the Ah-So--whole, but still not much of a seal there. Garnet red in color. Classic Pontet-Canet nose and flavors suitable for age of dried cherries and cigar ash, along with some very real tannins. Nice!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1970 Pontet-Canet

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Lucky result given the cork!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I sure thought so!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:15 pm

The bottle I had in 2010 was excellent, and even though it was produced during the Cruze era, it was strikingly similar to the 2000 Les Hauts tasted with it.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Ryan, glad you enjoyed it too. Have you found any other Bordeaux lovers in your new home territory?

I have yet to have a bad PC, even one I'd consider poor though not all have been well above average. I'm sure my come-uppance is coming, though!
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 am

Jenise wrote:Ryan, glad you enjoyed it too. Have you found any other Bordeaux lovers in your new home territory?

As a matter of fact, there's a doctor (who is goes to our parish and his kids go to school with ours) that I'm starting to become good friends with, who is a big Bordeaux fan, and we're having him and his family over for dinner next month (his schedule is tricky of course, having weekends on call and such), for what should be a fairly spectacular evening. I know he's planning on bringing some Opus . . . .
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:54 am

That man could be a great new friend, I'm glad for you. Lots in common besides wine, but a Bordeaux fan? Awesome.