The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Attention Spanish wine experts

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Attention Spanish wine experts

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:27 pm

Recently bought a bottle of 1978 Prado Enea Gran Reserva for $78. Only, what they sent me was not a 'Gran'. From what I know of the company that sent this (Benchmark Wines), it's probably safe to presume that this IS the bottle they intended to sell me, they just erred in describing it. They've made that kind of error in the past.

My questions, then: Did Muga PE make a Gran Reserva in 78? I would think so, I'm certain I have had the 78 Torres GR. In fact, before I took the bottle out of the box this morning, I thought all Prado Eneas were Gran Reservas. But I have an 89 in the cellar, and it's definitely got the word 'Gran' where the 78 does not. And is the $78 I paid a fair price for the just-Reserva, if that's what I got instead, or should I throw a fit and demand some money back?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Attention Spanish wine experts

by JoePerry » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:16 pm

All Prado Enea are Gran Reserva, no matter what it says.

If you look, the top of the front label says "Rioja-Reserva", but the DO tag on the back says Gran Reserva.

Prado Enea tends to come around sooner than some of its bretheren (Cune, RLdH, Riscal, Murrieta, etc.) so the 78 might be a bit tired, though still very nice. It's been a few years since last I had it, but I have fond memories.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:47 pm

Joe, thanks. That's kind of what I suspected. Cross your fingers for me, though I have high hopes: the bottle has the fill of a two-year-old, as does the 89 I also bought. Wherever they were before, they were loved.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:40 am

John Gilman did a Rioja review in latest View From the Cellar, and listed the '78 Prado Enea as Reserva- think you have the only bottling. John is less a stylistic fan of Prado Enea than I am (the grenache), but still gave it a decent rating (89). And listed it as 2004-2020. So with bottle you describe I think you're in good shape.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:58 pm

Joe and Dale, thanks, you filled in all the holes for me. I'll look forward to these bottles. I really don't know (obviusly) much about the Prados except that I've liked the two or three I've had.