The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Weekend Wines and I just don't understand S. African Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Weekend Wines and I just don't understand S. African Wines

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:01 am

We sampled a (forgot the name) South African Syrah AND a better known wine called "Chocolate Block". Now...I like brett and funky character in wines, but both wines had a distinctively medicinal and extremely unpleasant "band aid" tate to them. Plastic band aid strip, to be "precise". I have found this true in other South African wines, including Simonsig Pinotage and even some Chenin Blanc. Even the Sauvignon Blanc bottled in Napa by Anthony Bell has a distinctly metallic and plasticy flavor I found off-putting. :?: :shock:

On to the pleasant side of things:

2010 Stolpman Santa Barbara Syrah. Wow. Delicious bloody, meaty, earthy Syrah with plenty of fresh berry and licorice flavors. Very, very nice.

2012 Broc Cellars Solano County (Green Valley) Valdigue. I think Chris Brockway does an amazing job with Gamay and Gamay-ish grapes. This lovely dark red berry fruited wine was lively and had a nice kick of the "good" kind of funkyness. No plastic bandaid here!

Donkey and Goat "Untended" Anderson Valley Chardonnay 2012. I love the crazy wildness of this wine! Brambly white peach, savory notes, a touch of funk. Delicious stuff!
The 2012 El Dorado Mouvedre is already tasting very fine as well. I know one ages Bandol, but this seems so fresh and lively and funky and fruity it can be slurped up now.

2005 Palladian Cabernet Sauvignon. From the Meadowood area near Saint Helena. What a pure and delicious and lovely Napa Valley Cabernet. Just delicious with smoked ribeye and fully loaded baked potatos. Layers of rich, earthy cassis fruit. Plenty of refreshing acidity. Tannins are there but not bothersome in any way. Would love to see what happens to this wine wiith even more time. I hope Rick has more.

Having watched SOMM last night while finishing the cabernet, I find my tasting notes...inadequate. Tom Hill comes to mind listening to those kids!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Weekend Wines and I just don't understand S. African Wines

by Saina » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:19 pm

Have you tried the new wines from Lammershoek? A few years back (maybe five or so) they started to consciously make more elegant wines. And I think they're superb now. I even liked their Pinotage! :O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 pm

I purchased a couple bottles of 2010 Stolpman "Originals" Syrah. Is that the one you had?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:28 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I purchased a couple bottles of 2010 Stolpman "Originals" Syrah. Is that the one you had?

Yes..not one of the higher end single vineyard wine.

This was my second sampling of this wine, and I do love it.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Otto wrote:Have you tried the new wines from Lammershoek? A few years back (maybe five or so) they started to consciously make more elegant wines. And I think they're superb now. I even liked their Pinotage! :O

I will look for that, Otto. I was more curious if this bandaid character us common in South African wines
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 pm

I've tried different South African wines and come up with varied opinions. Pinotages all remind me of burning rubber tires, not my thing.