The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Rieslings and a Poulsard bump into a green curry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Rieslings and a Poulsard bump into a green curry

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Betsy’s niece was home for spring break, so we invited Betsy’s sister’s family for dinner Thursday. A stirfry of scallops, shrimp, squid and soba noodles in a green curry, plus Chinese broccoli and we of course had wine:

2008 von Hovel Scharzhofberger Kabinett.
Good acids, sweet citrus, nice in a fruit-driven way, not a minerally wine but very satisfying for under $15. B/B+

2012 Tissot Poulsard Vieilles Vignes Arbois
Light colored, raspberry with earth and pepper, exotic and herby. I opened this because Dave isn’t a fan of whites with RS, he said he’d never tasted anything like this. Fun, different (though not a good match with the food, as one might expect). B+

Friday we had leftovers, with the 2007 R. Haart Piesport Goldtropfchen Riesling Kabinett, This is a wine I’ve liked a lot in the past, but it seems to be going into a shell. Plenty of sweetness, in the background the exotic tropical fruits are there, but the vibrancy and minerality seems to be in check. For this night, B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.