The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Mordoree la Reine des Bois

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2006 Mordoree la Reine des Bois

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Popped and poured (big mistake)--grabbed it on impulse, being at dinner time and having already opened a California syrah that we immediately deemed too young/hard to drink with our tacos. This was the replacement wine. Deep purple-black color with surprisingly extracted blue-black fruit, major mintiness, dust, chocolate and a lingering green bell pepper note in the finish. Tight and akward at this stage, tasting like no other 06 or Southern Rhone I've ever had, including other vintages of this cuvee. Too early to drink--HOLD!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Mordoree la Reine des Bois

by Shaji M » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:33 pm

I have never tried the Riene des Bois, but have had the basic bottling from Mordoree. Surprisingly big for a 2006 Lirac. Thanks for the note.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:29 pm

Jenise. - I have had this wine twice and can't figure it out. First in 2010 and then last June. It has a lot of alcohol and no finesse. I had thought that in 3 years it would have calmed down. I have 2 more bottles, but have doubts about it ever becoming a CdP that I will like.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:00 pm

I can't help! It was actually quite drinkable and worked okay with the tacos because of the spicy fresh chile component, but I sure was surprised by it. Last bottle we had was an all-red-fruit 08, which was delightfully en pointe for a Lirac with a few years on it, if maybe a little lighter than usual. I have no idea where I got this--it wasn't in my inventory and I have no recollection of seeing it/buying it stateside (I bought the 08's at the winery). If I owned more, and yikes, maybe I do!--didn't go back to look after realizing this morning that it was't inventoried--I wouldn't drink another until 2017.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:29 am

I decided to open one yesterday to drink with our traditional Father's Day dinner of meatballs and spaghetti. I decanted it for an hour and that seemed to help. The alcohol did not stick out like the bottle a year ago. I got some CdP spice and licorice along with dark fruit. Friends who joined us liked it quite a bit. I wasn't unhappy drinking it and liked the way it worked with the flavors of the dish.
Diane
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:40 pm

I have that pegged as a 10 year + wine and have gone nowhere near my stash.

Thanks for the data point.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have that pegged as a 10 year + wine and have gone nowhere near my stash.

Thanks for the data point.

Ten years is spot-on, I think. Two more to go--I'll come up. :)

Btw, had a dream about you and Suz last night. In it, she had dyed her hair blonde and you had decided on a new monochromatic wardrobe based on lime green golf shirts. You'd bought a boatload of them at a sale somewhere (literally, a boat that came into Horseshoe Bay and sold them at the dock). You were going to wear nothing but every day for the rest of your life you said, and instead invest in different pants for your fashion statement, on which matters Coop was going to advise you.

This all arose out of concern for wine stains, no doubt planted in my head by JC's thread.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Clearly a Lirac induced coma state!!

Coop also has this wine, I believe so we have more possible data points.