The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Small (12-25 bottle) wine fridge recommendation

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

William Schimmel

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Small (12-25 bottle) wine fridge recommendation

by William Schimmel » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a small wine fridge (under counter style) to supplement my full cellar (~400 bottles) for every day wine drinking. Picking one is not so difficult, but I am curious if there are any out there that support non-standard (i.e., Bordeaux style) bottles. If there are two bottles of Pinot and 1 of sparkling/champagne I want to store, will I need to shove them in or bump out another bottle thereby making an 18 bottle fridge fit 15?

Any thoughts are appreciated as well as general feelings on the smaller, undercounter options.

Thanks, William Schimmel
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Small (12-25 bottle) wine fridge recommendation

by Jenise » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:35 am

William, good luck in your quest. I don't know a lot about these things, but I owned one once that I would caution anyone against buying one like. Don't recall the brand, but I bought it at Costco maybe ten years ago--it was a floor to counter-height model but narrow and sized perfectly to fit in the hole created by removing a trash compactor or, as in my case, an old ice machine that came with the house. I replaced it entirely a few years later when we remodeled our kitchen. Anyway, the problem was, that instead of pull-out rack 'drawers' like the one I have now, it had stationery right-to-left metal rods that undulated in shape so that bottles fit in the recesses. Only problem was, they were spaced to hold the bottoms and necks of bottles, and the space between them was fairly wide without any interim support, and though a pinot noir bottle fit in there just fine you had to get it JUST so which, being so bottom heavy, it's not very well balanced to do, and any bottle in the upper reaches that got knocked slightly out of alignment would fall on the bottles below which in turn...you get the picture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 am

Hi William,

I have a Haier 36 bottle unit. It has bottom shelving designed for sparkling wine bottles. The other four shelf levels have adjustable spacing capability. I probably have 40+ bottles jammed into the thing. I've been very happy with it.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

William Schimmel

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

by William Schimmel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks Sam. I just looked at those and unfortunately the space I have available won't fit any of their models.

Anyone have any thoughts on Danby? I am focusing on this one right now as I know it will fit in the space I have and appears to have some flexibility for bottles on it's bottom two shelves.

http://www.winecoolerdirect.com/danby-17-bottle-wine-refrigerator-dwc172bl/DWC172BL.html?cgid=Wine_Refrigerators-6_27_Bottle_Wine_Refrigerators
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:06 pm

If it were me I'd head to Costco and see what they have. I've heard that these little coolers are especially unreliable, and I would want the protections of Costco's warranty.

I wish I could share some experience, but I've found that keeping the bottle in the cellar and a couple frozen sleeves on hand lets me bring even sparkling wine down to temperature within about fifteen minutes. Where the small cooler comes in handy is when you want to make it a point to drink some bottles, but I tend to solve that problem by keeping them at the top of my regular cellar.
Walter Nissen