The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Donkey&Goat Syrah VieillesVignes '06...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Donkey&Goat Syrah VieillesVignes '06...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 am

Tried this last night:
1. Donkey&Goat Syrah VieillesVignes GibsonRanch/McDowellVlly/Mendocino (14.4%; www.ADonkeyAndGoat.com) 2006: Dark color w/ no bricking; strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy/slight peppery quite dusty/OV slight roasted/Rhonish/Cornas/Clape-like/feral/smoked meats complex nose; bit tart/lean some blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery rather dusty/OV slight roasted/Rhonish/sauvage/rustic flavor w/ slight astringent/bitey tannins; bit tart/lean/hard some blueberry/blackberry/Syrah/spicy quite dusty/OV rather rough/rustic/Rhonish/Cornas-like/sauvage finish w/ light hard/astringent/bitey tannins; loaded w/ dusty/OV character; lots of rustic/Cornas-like character w/o the perfume of a Clape; probably on the downhill side but quite interesting Syrah; a lot like an older EdStJ Syrah.
1. After about 8 wines went down the drain from my compromised stash, I wanted something worth drinking. So I spied this. How appropriate. On Fri, JakeBilbro/MikeOfficer/CaseyHartlip & myself are doing a walk of GibsonRanch, now owned by the Bilbro family.
Gibson has probably the oldest Syrah planting in Calif, dating back to the late 1800's, mostly of Clone 777. In the early days of McDowellVllyVnyds, GeorgeBursick made some exceptional Syrahs from these grapes. The vnyd is a national treasure & it will be exciting to see what the Bilbros do with it. I'd love to see MikeOfficer & Morgan Twain-Peterson take Syrah from here.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Donkey&Goat Syrah VieillesVignes '06...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Interesting! Quite excited to have a Donkey and Goat syrah in the queue, but I don't believe it's a vineyard-specific bottling.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:57 pm

What's Casey doing with himself now that he's no longer at Eaglepoint Ranch? Please send him my regards.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Growing Grapes...

by TomHill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:What's Casey doing with himself now that he's no longer at Eaglepoint Ranch? Please send him my regards.

Craig,
Casey's a great grower. He landed on his feet pretty fast. He farms Ordway Vnyd up in the AndersonVlly and consults w/ several other vnyds
up there as well. You can't keep a good man like Casey down for long.
I have noticed you don't hear much of EaglePointRanch anymore. I think SeanThackerey still gets Sangio from there, but not heard of anybody else taking EaglePoint anymore.
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm

The Weiss boys bought some fruit from him the last year he was there. They went up to pick up the grapes, and the place evidently smelled overwhelmingly of pot, with plenty of the weed visible. So I guess its new owners made it mostly a pot farm. It's a more lucrative crop, I guess.