The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Starry, starry night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Starry, starry night

by David M. Bueker » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 am

With wines that watch the world and can't forget...

2005 Vincent Girardin Vosne-Romanée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (3/25/2014)
This has turned out better than I would have expected, given the general Girardin reputation. Still some oak on the nose and palate, but now it blends with the classic spicy notes of Vosne rather than being the focal point. The palate is quite fruity, but also supple. Some earthiness mingles with the spice as well, making the overall impression even more interesting. Nice value, given that this only cost me about $35 when it came out. No rush on this, as there is plenty of material for further cellaring, but if you want something to drink now I recommend it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Starry, starry night

by Tom Troiano » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:07 am

Great Don McLean song.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Great Don McLean song.

And an even greater painting. I was never overly impressed by Starry Night until I saw it in person at the Musée d'Orsay in Paris last summer. It was stunning.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:17 pm

The one at Orsay is gorgeous, but I think that's one of the variants (Starry night over city or something). Starry Night is at MOMA (and pretty sure that is one painting that's never loaned).

HAven't bought a Girardin red in ages, but gives me hope for a single '02 Volnay 1er.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:The one at Orsay is gorgeous, but I think that's one of the variants (Starry night over city or something). Starry Night is at MOMA (and pretty sure that is one painting that's never loaned).

OT: Yes, the one in the Orsay is Starry Night Over the Rhone whereas the one in MOMA is the über-iconic The Starry Night. As an aside, Van Gogh's use of color in his later works is truly striking and not easily appreciated from reproductions. I was lucky enough to be living in NYC when the Met (IIRC) hosted the exhibition "Van Gogh in Arles and St.-Remy" in which they collected all of his major later works. As impressive as many of those later canvases were, it was his very late work "Crows Over a Wheat Field" that left me poleaxed. (I'm not alone, as Kurosawa featured it in his later work "Dreams")

And I try to avoid red Girardin wines, but I'm glad to hear that it was showing well for you, David.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Strange how Girardin's reds don't get much love but I've been happy with many of his whites.