The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Asimov on ChrisBrockway

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Asimov on ChrisBrockway

by TomHill » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Very nicely done article in today's NYTimes by Asimov on ChrisBrockway:
NYTimes:ChrisBrockway

By coincidence, I'm stopping by there Wed afternoon to meet up w/ KenZinns as they're bottling there that day.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on ChrisBrockway

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm

Shoot. Hope this doesn't mean shortages or price rises! :mrgreen:

Love the wines.

And Donkey and Goat a few feet down the street (but they are normally open on weekends only...maybe if you call ahead as a "VIP" they can give you a tasting!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Uhhhh...

by TomHill » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Shoot. Hope this doesn't mean shortages or price rises! :mrgreen:

Love the wines.

And Donkey and Goat a few feet down the street (but they are normally open on weekends only...maybe if you call ahead as a "VIP" they can give you a tasting!

Uhhhh...don't they steal bikes there??? Sorry, Brian...I couldn't resist that one. Me bad.
Did they ever recover your bike?? Or did you get a new one?
I had my bicycle stolen one time up in Aspen. It does make you feel violated. Fortunately, I'd done my ride up to IndependencePass
that morning, so serious biking was done.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm

I am in the process of buying a new bicycle. I have a Felt F1 built by the owner of a shop in Napa as a "project" that is on "layaway". He lets me borrow it as often as I want. It's actually a beautifully balanced bicycle. Design and materials do matter a lot, so even though I don't like the cheap labor Chinese factory system, I can't deny the beauty of this bicycle.

I need to go on a sharp wine buying hiatus for awhile, though. The Alexander Valley -I should have skipped the shipment but it was darn nice wine.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I am in the process of buying a new bicycle. I have a Felt F1 built by the owner of a shop in Napa as a "project" that is on "layaway". He lets me borrow it as often as I want. It's actually a beautifully balanced bicycle. Design and materials do matter a lot, so even though I don't like the cheap labor Chinese factory system, I can't deny the beauty of this bicycle.
I need to go on a sharp wine buying hiatus for awhile, though. The Alexander Valley -I should have skipped the shipment but it was darn nice wine.

Yup....I know bike geeks...or gearheads I believe they're called...they can be pretty anal when they get on the subject of hardware.
Sorta like some of the epee guys I know...who'll file down their bellgard to save a gram...or spend an hour
adjusting their shims to cut down 0.1 mm of unnecessary travel in the tip. Not that I would ever do that!!! :-)
Glad you got a new one in the near future.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

Re: Yup...

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:I am in the process of buying a new bicycle. I have a Felt F1 built by the owner of a shop in Napa as a "project" that is on "layaway". He lets me borrow it as often as I want. It's actually a beautifully balanced bicycle. Design and materials do matter a lot, so even though I don't like the cheap labor Chinese factory system, I can't deny the beauty of this bicycle.

Yup....I know bike geeks...or gearheads I believe they're called...they can be pretty anal when they get on the subject of hardware.
Sorta like some of the epee guys I know...who'll file down their bellgard to save a gram...or spend an hour
adjusting their shims to cut down 0.1 mm of unnecessary travel in the tip. Not that I would ever do that!!! :-)
Glad you got a new one in the near future.
Tom

I test rode about 15 bikes. The Sarto was "the story"...small Italian shop, racing heritage, etc. etc.

The Felt was my Number 2 bike...and I am not even sure about the number 2 status right now! . American company...Jim Felt was a motorcycle mechanic originally! He lives in the foothills (Auburn), but the company offices are in Irvine in Orange County. My bicycle says "Designed in Southern California". :roll:
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 am

TomHill wrote:Sorta like some of the epee guys I know...who'll file down their bellgard to save a gram...or spend an hour
adjusting their shims to cut down 0.1 mm of unnecessary travel in the tip. Not that I would ever do that!!! :-) Tom

You're a fencer? I was CRAZY for fencing right through my 20's! How 'bout that. I used to fence epee for Salon Santelli after my college career was over (made the NCAA nationals twice, woo hoo!). But I snapped a knee during an '84 Olympics points event bout, and that was that. Had to take up boxing to get my mano-a-mano combat fix, although it was never the same thrill.

BTW, I was briefly recruited by Toni Orsi in the early 80's. I don't know if you remember him, but he came up with that weird style of standing straight up, chest to your opponent, with your weapon hand turned palm-down. It looked insane, but his top students were pretty tough to beat. In fact, his very top guy - Lee Shelly - did in fact make the '84 Olympic team...and promptly made a name for himself by getting confused during the march into the stadium while he was dancing around and waving to people, and dropped back into the ranks of the nation behind the US (Uruguay?). We all groaned when we saw that, because Lee was really an exceptionally nice guy and got an awful lot of shit for that little faux pas. (Although he redeemed himself in Seoul in '88, taking 11th Individual if I recall.)

E la!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Small World....

by TomHill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 am

Tom NJ wrote:
TomHill wrote:Sorta like some of the epee guys I know...who'll file down their bellgard to save a gram...or spend an hour
adjusting their shims to cut down 0.1 mm of unnecessary travel in the tip. Not that I would ever do that!!! :-) Tom

You're a fencer? I was CRAZY for fencing right through my 20's! How 'bout that. I used to fence epee for Salon Santelli after my college career was over (made the NCAA nationals twice, woo hoo!). But I snapped a knee during an '84 Olympics points event bout, and that was that. Had to take up boxing to get my mano-a-mano combat fix, although it was never the same thrill.

BTW, I was briefly recruited by Toni Orsi in the early 80's. I don't know if you remember him, but he came up with that weird style of standing straight up, chest to your opponent, with your weapon hand turned palm-down. It looked insane, but his top students were pretty tough to beat. In fact, his very top guy - Lee Shelly - did in fact make the '84 Olympic team...and promptly made a name for himself by getting confused during the march into the stadium while he was dancing around and waving to people, and dropped back into the ranks of the nation behind the US (Uruguay?). We all groaned when we saw that, because Lee was really an exceptionally nice guy and got an awful lot of shit for that little faux pas. (Although he redeemed himself in Seoul in '88, taking 11th Individual if I recall.)
E la!

Small world, Tom.
I've heard of ToniOrsi & his weird style...but never saw it in action. And of course know of Salle Santelli.
I didn't start fencing until about '91 at 48 yrs of age, w/ my 7'th grade son. Still fence competitively. At 71 yrs of age,
I can still go out & beat (some of) those snot-nosed kids. Use that old age & treachery thing for all it's worth.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:11 am

Brian K Miller wrote:I test rode about 15 bikes. The Sarto was "the story"...small Italian shop, racing heritage, etc. etc.

The Felt was my Number 2 bike...and I am not even sure about the number 2 status right now! . American company...Jim Felt was a motorcycle mechanic originally! He lives in the foothills (Auburn), but the company offices are in Irvine in Orange County. My bicycle says "Designed in Southern California". :roll:

Now there's a cachet if I ever heard one!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Small World....

by Tom NJ » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:31 am

TomHill wrote:I've heard of ToniOrsi & his weird style...but never saw it in action. And of course know of Salle Santelli.
I didn't start fencing until about '91 at 48 yrs of age, w/ my 7'th grade son. Still fence competitively. At 71 yrs of age,
I can still go out & beat (some of) those snot-nosed kids. Use that old age & treachery thing for all it's worth.
Tom

Incredible. Good for you! I still have a target mounted to a wall in my basement and practice point control now and again. If you ever find yourself in NJ for some reason (lost a bet, apocalypse, hiding from an ex), give a call and I'll set up a strip!

:D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 am

At the risk of sending this thread dangerously off-topic, I ride a Bianchi Vigorelli -- love the steel frame and amazed at how light-weight, nimble and quick it is. But if you're looking at a Felt F1, you're in whole different league. A bit like comparing a really nice Bourgogne with a DRC.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Bruce K wrote:

At the risk of sending this thread dangerously off-topic, I ride a Bianchi Vigorelli -- love the steel frame and amazed at how light-weight, nimble and quick it is. But if you're looking at a Felt F1, you're in whole different league. A bit like comparing a really nice Bourgogne with a DRC.

I had an aluminum Specialized frame before I went carbon last year. I still admire/appreciate steel, but I honestly think aluminum was a mistake. It was a brutal frame material for rough roads.

The F1 is a surprising supple frame for a race bike. A little nervy on the downhills, but so was the Sarto. I am getting such a great deal on this bike! Slightly used. The wheels alone retail for $1500! And I am a major Campagnolo snob...I don't like Shimano very much!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 pm

No more thread hijacking, I promise!