The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Weekend Wines!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Weekend Wines!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

2010 Alexander Valley Vineyards "Cyrus" Bordeaux Blend. This was a nice surprise! Already earthy and quite Bordeauxish in character. May not be enough acid or tannins to be a long ager???? but already so softly delicious in a leathery, earthy, dark fruited and savory way that I may drink it early anyway!

2007 Ridge Diamond Hill Petit Sirah. My first visit to Ridge in Dry Creek! Nice place, and very professional and clever tasting room people! Plus, Lytton Springs Road is a beautiful cycling route. Anyway...continuing my theme from above, this Spring Mountain District wine was very earthy and delicious and Bordeauxish, with a hint of herbal notes and a fine tannic structure. I also quite enjoyed their Carrignane bottling and some Zinfandels. Fun place!

2012 Preston Family Madame Preston (white blend). Soft and full bodied...pear, lemon, and a distinct nuttyness. Not a particularlty powerful or flavorful wine, but very pleasant. As much as the wine, I love the Preston's dense and crusty and flavorful BREAD. Darn, this is good bread! From their own wheat on the farm.

2012 Da Vero Sagrantino. Prefer this to most of the (limited number) of Umbrian versions, which I find over ripe and almost porty. THIS wine is light in color (almost like a Pinot) and intensely cherry flavored with definite tannins and blazing acidity. Fantastic stuff!

2012 Da Vero Malvasia Blanco. This is the other wow! wine in their current line up. Fresh and clean, with intense florality but light on the tongue. Good stuff!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Weekend Wines!

by JC (NC) » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah, I like the Ridge tasting room experience. I believe we tried a vintage of the Cyrus blended wine at the Pinehurst Wine and Food Festival a year or two ago