The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Yvon Métras Moulin-à-Vents

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Two Yvon Métras Moulin-à-Vents

by Saina » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Métras Moulin-à-Vent 2010
Moulin-à-Vent has usually been a tough Cru for me. I always find more lovable, charming wines from other Crus so I've drunk very little M-à-V at home. I prefer the elegance of Fleurie to the sternness of M-à-V. Usually. Not so with Métras. This 2010 might just be the most perfect bottle of wine I've ever had. A lighter style than the 2011 Fleurie but more robust than the 2010 Fleurie. The perfume is ethereal and far from the sternness I have so often seen in this Cru. It is a pretty wine - and pretty is an adjective rarely used with this Cru. Racy, pure, almost salty sensations with a wonderful sappiness. Did they accidentally bottle Grand Cru Burgundy with Beaujolais on the label? It's delicious now, but certainly age can only do good for it.

Métras Moulin-à-Vent 2011
Finally my preference for these vintages is back to normal and I found the 2010 M-à-V more to my taste. Not that there's anything wrong with this 2011. It's also a super wine. But it is a touch more ripe and with the extra ripeness a bit of that ethereal, bright perfume and grace is lost. The fruit also has that savoury, sappy edge that makes these wines stand out from your typical Beaujolais. Marvellous wine. It's shamefully fun to drink now, but really could do with a bit more age.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Two Yvon Métras Moulin-à-Vents

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Lucky man, being able to get those, your note describes why they're on my shopping list next time I'm in Europe. Hmmm, wonder if Canada imports any?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Jenise wrote:Lucky man, being able to get those, your note describes why they're on my shopping list next time I'm in Europe. Hmmm, wonder if Canada imports any?

You're going to have the Ultime! These I've written about are a bit more basic. But the Ultimes we tried when we visited were just incredible. Better than Musar. Let that sink in for a minute. Better than Musar. Doesn't Lyle Fass import these to the US?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Otto wrote:
Jenise wrote:Lucky man, being able to get those, your note describes why they're on my shopping list next time I'm in Europe. Hmmm, wonder if Canada imports any?

You're going to have the Ultime! These I've written about are a bit more basic. But the Ultimes we tried when we visited were just incredible. Better than Musar. Let that sink in for a minute. Better than Musar. Doesn't Lyle Fass import these to the US?

If he does, I'm unaware. Last I knew, the owner, pissed off by some American in the past, didn't export to us at all.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov