The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Conferencing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Conferencing

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:24 pm

I was at a conference this weekend, so of course that means more wine than usual!

Some of the more fun bottles were a delightful 2011 Hirsch Heiligenstein GV that was so crisp and elegant and a perfect way to mull over menus and get ourselves ready to eat. When we got down to the more carnal act of eating, a few bottles of 2011 Closel Savennières La Jalousie were more appropriate because the greater weight and thicker texture made good friends with the food. That said, this was not a bruiser, so maybe the 'lighter' 2011 wines will be a welcome interpretation of Savennières, given how things have been developing in recent years?

Another night, we started with 2012 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett and were immediately relaxed by the classy and friendly wine. But lest we get too relaxed, the 2012 Cornelissen Munjabel Rosso 9 stirred our spirits with its refined take on gritty tannic bite. And, although it was not the ideal time to drink it, a friend from the UK had never tasted an ESJ and 2005 ESJ Bassetti was staring at me on the list. It was not the most defined bottle of this that I have had, and you could see it was still evolving, but these comparisons were irrelevant to my friend who had never tasted the wine before. And he was convinced, so a new fan is born!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Conferencing

by Dale Williams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Nice conference!
Lighter Savennieres sounds great to me, should check out '11 Closels.
Almost decided on that Donnhoff to go with corned beef tonight, going wth a Mosel kab instead
Another ESJ fan, yea!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 pm

That is my kind of conference!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Lighter Savennieres sounds great to me, should check out '11 Closels.

Yeah, I have limited and spotty exposure to '11s from across the Loire, and am not sure I will be stocking up on any for small family dinners at the house. But this was exactly what we wanted from a restaurant wine/entertaining wine. Easy to pour and easy to drink. At least now.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:58 am

Was the conference in North Carolina or elsewhere? Was interested in the name of the restaurant(s) involved if in Triangle area.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 am

JC (NC) wrote:Was the conference in North Carolina or elsewhere? Was interested in the name of the restaurant(s) involved if in Triangle area.

DC. Ate at Tabard Inn and Proof, both delicious, and then another night in a friend's house, a mixture of riesling and riojas. Not a bad weekend!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:29 pm

I need to try Proof. I may get to DC in October.