The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chappellet Chenin, Segries CdR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Chappellet Chenin, Segries CdR

by Jenise » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:42 pm

2004 Chappellet Dry Chenin
Low acid and flabby compared to any other vintage I've ever had, and with more RS. Unpleasant.

2004 Chateau de Segries Cotes du Rhone
Ah, this is more like it. Quintessential young CdR. Lovely grenache strawberry/raspberry fruit, good acidity, a little pepper, maybe a hint of funk way off in the distance, and drinks well on first pour. A lot of joy for $10.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Chappellet Chenin, Segries CdR

by James Dietz » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Too bad about the Chappellet.. it is typically dry and very good.. this must be the last vintage, no? I heard they had pulled the vines out or something.. not a nice way to go out...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Jenise
I'm a big fan of the Lirac from Segries. I've heard numerous good reports on the CdR, but some reason I've not seen the CdR locally. Was the importer on the CdR J et R Selections of of Michigan?
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Jim, yes they were pulling out the vines. But they were also replanting more chenin somewhere else. I think. It was stressed to me that the family adores chenin and grows it for their own pleasure, so profitability isn't the issue.

Bill, got the bottle right here. The importer is Kysela out of Winchester VA. I didn't realize that when I bought the bottle, but while we're talking importers I might mention that I've frequently liked a bottle of something and checked the importer afterwards only to find it's a Kysela wine. Like Dressner's stuff, there seems to be a pattern to their taste. And it's good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:36 pm

Jenise,
Thanks for the importer info. I now do recall that Kysela imports this...don't know what made me think it was JetR...chalk it up to old age or too many drugs in a mis-spent youth. FWIW, I have enjoyed a number of Kysela's wines as well.
Thanks again for re-booting my brain.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!