The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - Recent updates

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

WTN - Recent updates

by John S » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:39 am

I haven't listed any notes for a while, here are some hazy notes that might be of use. I only take notes of wines from my cellar now - too lazy otherwise, for some reason, so these are all just bottles I've opened in the last couple of months.

• 2002 Domdechant Werner Hochheimer Kirchenstück Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau (2/21/2014)
    Lovely light gold in colour. A rich nose of mainly tropical and stone fruit - pineapple, mango, peach, pear and cherry. A medium bodied, rich palate, with apricots, mango, pineapple and cherry the main fruits on show. On the sweet side, as others mentioned, but I think it is nicely balanced, though it doesn't have the minerallity that help Mosel wines balance the sweetness. Still young, this will last several years yet. A harmonious, well integrated, tasty wine that drinks more like an auslese than a spatlese. (A-)
  • 2007 Jacob's Creek/Orlando Riesling Steingarten - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Eden Valley (2/10/2014)
    This is definitely a very dry wine with lots of acidity. And there is a lot of lime here, but there is also talc, a hint of spritz and petrol, crisp green apples and yellow grapefruit as well. A slightly oily texture too, and great intensity overall. I agree that this is a baby and hopefully another 5 years will tone down the acidity. It may last a lot longer than that ... (B)
  • 2007 Craggy Range Te Kahu Gimblett Gravels Vineyard - New Zealand, North Island, Hawkes Bay, Gimblett Gravels (2/9/2014)
    Dark ruby and purple in colour. A moderate nose of mainly blackfruits and cedar. There's a bit more going on in the rich, textured, medium-full bodied palate, with blackberries, tar, dark chocolate, herbs, pomegranate and raspberries. There's nice acidity and tannins still, which gives the wine a lift. A little anonymous and modern, perhaps, but still, a well made, tasty Bordeaux blend that still has several years ahead of it. (A-)
  • 2004 Bodega Catena Zapata Malbec Catena Alta - Argentina, Mendoza (2/8/2014)
    Hazy notes from last night. This was a rich, ripe wine that had some interesting flavours - deep plums, chocolate, blackfruits, tar. A little too 'slutty' for my tastes, but certainly a well made, concentrated, full bodied malbec. A bit more lift and/or tannins would have improved the wine. (B+/A-)
  • 2003 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage (2/8/2014)
    Didn't take notes, but this was a really enjoyable, interesting wine. Not a 'hedonistic' style, and it kept changing in the glass with air. Some light fruit notes - peach, honeysuckle, lanolin, but it was more texture then fruit oriented. There was a hint of alcohol and oxidation in the wine, but they didn't distract from the wine too much at all. There are some similarities to a Lopez de Heredia rioja blanco. Nice intensity to the flavours, and this should last a while yet (if it isn't oxidized). (A-)
  • 2000 R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Crianza Viña Gravonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/2/2014)
    Light gold. Pineapple, talc, apples and lanolin on the light nose. Medium bodied, just slight oxidation in this bottle - every bottle is a different taste experience - with a lovely mouth coasting texture, a saline impression, and more pineapple, lanolin, butterscotch, pear and lemon notes. Probably the best bottle of this I've tried. (A-)
  • 2009 Balthasar Ress Hattenheimer Schützenhaus Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Rheingau (2/1/2014)
    Light yellow in colour, with a lovely nose of white flowers, talc, nectarines and pears. Medium bodied, and more of a trocken or haltrocken style. For a 2009, it is quite racy, with wonderfully juicy acidity dding to the minerals, nectarines, pineapple, mango, lime and lemon flavours. Not at all like a 'normal' 2009 kabinett - that is, it is drier and with much more acidity than I expected: a nice surprise! (B+)
  • 2005 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou La Montee de L'Epine - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (1/25/2014)
    Glad to see this entry level Cabernet Sauvignon - not Cab Franc as usual in this region - is still in good shape after about 8 years. On the second night open, this is dark brick in colour with a purple tinge as well. Blackfruits, cedar and tomato leaf on the moderate nose. Medium to full bodied on the smooth, surprisingly powerful palate, with more blackfruits, tobacco, cedar and a slight herbal note. There are still slight tannins at the back end. This is a great QPR wine from a great Loire vintage that really punched above its weight and rather humble region. Very interesting to taste a cab sauvignon from this area, and it makes me wish more could be grown here. It could still last a few years, so there's no great rush. (B+/A-)
  • 2009 Alta Colina Mourvedre - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/25/2014)
    This was decanted for a couple of hours. Didn't take notes, but this wine showed a little too much sweetness (residual sugar) for my liking. It was velvety smooth in texture, not showing a lot of complexity, but quite tasty. It did get a little less sweet with more air, but I wasn't all that impressed overall. (B/B+)
  • 2007 Alpha Domus The Aviator - New Zealand, North Island, Hawkes Bay (1/10/2014)
    Had this a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with this wine when I tasted it at the winery in 2010, but it didn't really show well now. Rather an anonymous Bordeaux blend, with nothing out of order (or balance), but just not too exciting. Maybe in an awkward phase now? (B+)
  • 2009 Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos de Saint Yves - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (1/13/2014)
    Hazy notes from 2 days ago. A fairly light style of Savennieres, but definitely fits the mold. Medium bodied, with that funky quince, lanolin character. Not as viscous or heavy as Baumard's other bottlings, but it has nice balance and purity. It should last a while yet. (B+/A-)
  • 2002 Celler Joan Simó Priorat Les Eres Vinyes Velles - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (1/5/2014)
    This kept changing in the glass. At first, it was rather acidic, with fruit in the background, but after a few hours in the decanter the fruit came into the front, along with a fair dose of tannins. It had a great nose, and a medium-full bodied palate with red and back licorice, plums and a hint of cassis: good complexity as well. My last bottle, but this should still last a whiile, given the tannins. (A-)
  • 2003 Domaine du Closel-Château des Vaults Savennières Les Caillardieres - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières (12/30/2013)
    Light golden yellow in colour. Lovely nose with the classic lanolin, honey, beeswax, and funky tropical fruit aromas.A hint of botrytis as well? Certainly it smells like an off dry style. But it's only very slightly off dry on the full bodied, very complex palate; the aromas are reflected here. A troubling vintage, but this is an outstanding savennieres that has power, balance (no heat or overripe fruit) and complexity. A 'wow' wine for me (and my wife) again. This should last a long time. (A)
  • 2005 Dr. Loosen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/30/2013)
    Didn't take notes, but this was in a great place a couple of days ago. Great balance, though perhaps slightly on the sweet side, but the normal great texture and richness for an auslese. Mainly tropical fruits on the medium-full palate. Still young, but damn tasty now. (A-/A)
  • NV Nicolas Maillart Champagne 1er Cru Brut Platine - France, Champagne (12/29/2013)
    This really punched above its weight last night. Didn't take notes, but this had a lovely, very fine mousse, a great nose and was quite rich on the very complex palate. Wish I had bought several more! (A-)
  • 2002 Schloss Saarstein Serriger Schloss Saarsteiner Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/27/2013)
    My last bottle. Didn't take notes, but this was still drinking well. Nothing too earth shattering, but a nice spatlese that's still aging well and where it should be at this age. (B+/A-)
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN - Recent updates

by James Roscoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:57 am

Which Catena Malbec bottling is that? The store where I work sells quite a bit of Catena Malbec. The store did a tasting of Catena Chard, Malbec and Cab Sauv. I preferred the CS. From your note I can see why the general public is buying into the Malbec. Thanks!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Wow, I had that Delesvaux Anjou--probably bought it from Garagiste, though I'm unclear on that now. Hated it initially. So I ignored it for about three years and finally decided to taste it/throw it out to make more room for something I would appreciate more. And it had morphed into a lovely wine. We happily drank the rest. Interesting that it managed to last this long--I wouldn't have bet on it, at the rapid rate it seemed to be changing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 pm

James, this was the Catena Alta, their midrange bottling - it probably goes for about $35-40 in the U.S. I'm not a big fan of malbec, but this wine sometimes surprises, although this bottle wasn't all that impressive to my tastes: too anonymous, no real character, a little soft.

Jenise, I was rather surprised this wine lasted this long as well. I had bought 2-3 bottles, so I purposefully waited to see how 8 years would treat it. It was still young tasting, and really quite impressive, especially for the price and the fact that it was cab sauv from Anjou - I wouldn't imagine it would fully ripen each year there.