The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr
Tried this last night after the fail of the Hayne PS:
1. SeanThackery Pleides OldVines Calif RTW (12.9%) 1991: Dark bit muurkey color w/ some browning; quite earthy/dusty/OV some minty/menthol/eucalyptus/Thackery terroir bit smokey/toasty/oak slight oxidized/wet wool little fruit some complex nose; soft quite attractive cedary/pencilly/old red/smokey rather earthy/dusty/OV slight minty/menthol/eucalyptus slight funky/tired bit complex flavor w/ light/smooth/round tannins; soft/smooth slght funky/wet wool/tired light minty/menthol/eucalyptus some dusty/earthy/OV cedary/pencilly rather old timey/earthy slight bretty/leathery some complex finish w/ light/smooth tannins; some rather interesting things therein and an old-timey Calif red but little fruit and just barely hanging in there; still offers up some interest & pleasure.
A wee BP:
1. Another wine from my stash of abandoned wines stored for almost 20 yrs under poor/uncontrolled storage conditions. It shows some of the Thackery terroir from his outdoors winemaking in the midst of a big eucalyptus grove. This was probably his first Pleiades. He's up to XVII by now, I think.
I haven't had any of Sean's wines in many a year. I presume he's still making wines?? His WebSite is totally dead, last updated in 2004. Interesting guy making some interesting wines.
He was one of the early producers of Syrah in Calif, sourcing fruit from a NapaVlly Syrah planting in Rutherford. Alas, he lost that source when the vnyd was purchased by ClarkeSwanson. He then started making Syrah (Orion) from the RossiRanch in NapaVlly. Until CaroleMeredith identified the vines in there as PetiteSirah, not Syrah.
- Here From the Very Start
- Posts: 3197
- Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm
The last Pleides I bought was XX--no idea what approximate vintage that correlates to, I've lost track.
Didn't realize the Orion's grape source had been re-identified. No wonder they're indestructible.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
- FLDG Dishwasher
- Posts: 26198
- Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm
- Location: The Pacific Northest Westest
Return to The Wine Forum
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Alex Judge, Bob Parsons Alberta, ChaimShraga, Dale Williams, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], JuliaB and 13 guests