The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

More Yucks from TastingPanel Magazine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

More Yucks from TastingPanel Magazine

by TomHill » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Got my latest TastingPanel magazine today, one of the lamest wine magazines around. It will be interesting if they can do anything w/ TheSommJournal or if they'll run it into the ground.
I always, though, read thru the magazine for the yucks and all the pics of hot chicks and cool dudes, a category of folks I'd love to join someday in the future. But I did glean a few nuggests of information from this issue:

1. There was a review of a ValleyOfTheMoon PinotBlanc (91 pts). This is a wnry I'd pretty much blown off since it was purchased by the Hecks/Korbel some yrs ago. It is now owned by DanZepponi & TonyStewart. Dan is the son of GinoZepponi, one of the founders of ZD Wnry. An aerospace engineer over in Sacramento who made some terrific wines in the early days of ZD, a guy I followed from the very start and liked immensely.

2. Gallo has out an ApothicRed LmtdRelease Dark (89 pts, $14). Anybody tried this wine yet?? It's interesting to me because it's a blend of PetiteSirah/Teroldego, and CabSauvg. I had no idea that Gallo had Teroldego planted. Seems like a perfect waste to me.

3. In every issue of TP that I can recall, they always have an interview w/ some Somm in some restaurant. This issue had WineSeller&Brasserie owner LoriParker, from down in SanDiego. A restaurant I've eaten several times over the (many) yrs and really liked. These articles always include some gushing/florid prose extolling the virtues of the Vinturi Wine Aerator. This one was a bit more over-the-top than most. I presume Vinturi must pay big $$'s for these florid endorsements. Lori was particularly gushing in describing her praise for the first time she used the Vinturi. It particularly "opened it up" because it was in a customers cabin at a high altitude and we learn from Lori that "in high altitudes...the thin air tightens the wine". Something I didn't know and certain there's a lot of good/high-level physics behind that statement. At 8,000' altitude, guess I'd better buy me one of them-there Vinturis so I can finally, after 42 yrs, start to enjoy my wine here in LosAlamos.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: More Yucks from TastingPanel Magazine

by Hoke » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 am

Why the teroldego hate, brudda?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope....

by TomHill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:51 am

Hoke wrote:Why the teroldego hate, brudda?

Nope...no hate for Teroldego, Hoke. I love that grape. It seems a waste, if they have Teroldego growing,
to dump it into ApothicRed. When they could sell the grapes to somebody who could do something special w/ it.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Nope....

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:50 am

TomHill wrote:
Hoke wrote:Why the teroldego hate, brudda?

Nope...no hate for Teroldego, Hoke. I love that grape. It seems a waste, if they have Teroldego growing,
to dump it into ApothicRed. When they could sell the grapes to somebody who could do something special w/ it.
Tom

Why do they even bother to quote the grape varietals? Apothic Red always struck me as sweet alcoholic generic grape juice. Just dump whatever Modesto Cabernet is floating around on the market instead. Heck, Gallo should hire Bronco...they could get it produced and sold for less money.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach