The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Friday Wines with David and Mike

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Friday Wines with David and Mike

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:56 am

Was pleased to meet David B and Mike and his wife in Sacramento Friday night at Pearl on the River. Thanks to Mike for arranging this!

Great service and a nice menu...and a wine list that was quite diverse and fairly priced (25%-50% over retail???).

Just some quick notes:

From David:

2010? Carlisle Mouvedre: Dark plum and earthyness. Quite nice!

Terre Rouge 2001 Syrah (Sierra Foothills): Amazingly rich for 12 year old wine. Depth of fruit really showed.

????....Beck Gewurtztraminer (Alsace). This was almost my wine of the weekend. amazing purity of fruit with great acidity. Sweet, for sure, but the acid and balance made it slurpable. I need to go to Napa and get some of this!

My contribution:

Donkey and Goat 2010 Fernaughty Vineyard Syrah. I love their wines, and this bottle was showing pretty well, imo. This was all about red plum and pepper. Some funk, definitely, but the depth of fruit was nice. Probably could hold this wine for years.
Last edited by David M. Bueker on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix thread title
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Friday Wines with David and Mike

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Brian - it was great to finally meet you in person! Mike too!

If i recall correctly, the Carlisle was the 2011. I found it rich but not at all over the top.

The Terre Rouge was very well developed, and was my favorite red of the night. The D&G Syrah was very good, but also painfully young.

The Gewurztraminer was the 2007 Vendage Tardive from Florian Beck-Hartwig. He actually did a Grape Radio podcast episode a while back if you want to hear what he has to say about Alsace. While the wine was sweet, it was not overpoweringly sweet, so it made a great match with my cheese course. The vivid rose petal aromatics were stunning!

I hope Mike posts the name of the restaurant. The food was really good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The D&G Syrah was very good, but also painfully young.

Yeah. :twisted: Jared actually gave me a bottle of the 2011 at the end of their business day last month. Oof...talk about young!
It's hard for me to age wine. No patience. :oops: Although I still have a 2006 Dolcetto! :lol:

The Gewurztraminer was the 2007 Vendage Tardive from Florian Beck-Hartwig. He actually did a Grape Radio podcast episode a while back if you want to hear what he has to say about Alsace. While the wine was sweet, it was not overpoweringly sweet, so it made a great match with my cheese course. The vivid rose petal aromatics were stunning!

That wine was a revelation to me!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:

That wine was a revelation to me!

Yeah. My cellar and wallet are going to be very sad, but I need to hunt down more of his wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:30 am

Just saw this post. It was a very fun evening with good food and delicious wine. That gewurz was definitely the hit of the evening - haven't had anything like it in quite some time. Thanks to both of you for the wine and company.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child