The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bordeaux 2003 Part One

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bordeaux 2003 Part One

by Saina » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:42 pm

From the small sampling of 2003s that I've so far had, I didn't have high expectations. I still came away depressed. Sure I understand that these wines might speak to others, but they were - a couple exceptions not withstanding - utterly opposite to what I seek for in wines. Though I denigrate a few very highly rated wines, I can only say that I report what I tasted in the glasses in front of me. I am honest to my preferences, so I don't want to hear that I'm trolling in this post.

We started out well with a nice Champagne, from a house I normally find a bit oaky and not bright enough, but the Krug 1995 was fine. Sure it is oaky, but it is harmoniously so and I feel that it will integrate with time. It is bright and expressive with a lime marmalade nose, figs, flowers and even a touch of petrol! The mousse is utter perfection. The acidity is divinely high. Though the fruit is rather shy at the moment, but there is lots of it. The aftertaste is interminable and surprisingly mineral. I liked it. Not enough to pay the price it goes for, but still - it was a dashed fine drink.

Then the troubles started. We had 11 wines half blind with one fully blind joker inserted.

The first wine turned out the be a wine that I have loved in almost all vintages I've tried, the Grand Puy Lacoste 2003. This wine was a freak, however. The nose was totally charred and roasted, there was none of the elegance and typical Pauillac character I usually find in this wine. The palate was also roasted, a bit dirty tasting, with a harsh finish - as if they tried to acidify and got in miserably wrong. Weird wine. I'll pass.

The next wine was little better. The Haut-Brion 2003 was perhaps the greatest disappointment of all since it is one of the top end Bordeauxs that I honestly would like to buy if I had the money. But this vintage I will pass. The nose is sickeningly sweet strawberry jam. Coupled with toasty oak, it makes for a decidedly unpleasant brew. The palate was quite a bit better: light (compared to the others), sweetly fruity, but not as badly roasted, almost flabby but not quite crossing that border. Unfortunately the noticable alcohol marred the otherwise fresh tasting finish. I'll pass.

Ch. L'Arrosée 2003 was even sweeter and more spoofulated smelling than the Haut-Brion! It was confected, chocolate ice-cream smelling, coconut juice. The palate was flabby, alcoholic, unbalanced, raisiny and utterly spoofulated. Not for me.

Malescot St-Exupery 2003 was an improvement upon the last, and is a genuinely well made wine - scent-wise anyway. It was a bit closed, but underneath it did have some nice Margaux-like red toned, sweet fruit, admirable depth, and though it was very oaky it wasn't vanillary. Unfortunately the charred character was noticable here also. The palate was rather light at first, but became harsh on the finish - as if they acidified and it went horribly wrong. I'll pass.

Greysac 2003 was at last a wine that smelled like honest left-bank Bordeaux: cassis, lead, savoury herbs, yet it also had fine fruit. The palate was sweet but well structured and fresh. Not a complex wine, but at least it smelled and tasted like what is expected from the area. I don't mind drinking this.

Bertineau St.-Vincent 2003 was confected, liqueur-like, too alcoholic, flabby, unpleasantly sweet and hot on the finish. I'll pass.

Latour-Martillac 2003 was very odd smelling: chemical, dirty, oaky, roasted and confected. The palate was weird: tart, light, sickeningly sweet, red toned, but with a fresh aftertaste. Not for me please.

Lagrange 2003 was like I remembered it to be from my previous experience with it: roasted, sweet, unharmonious with a chocolate ice-cream sweetness (I think last time I noted down banana-bread, but I guess what I have been after is a sickening sweetness). I'll still pass.

Clos de l'Oratoire 2003 was the biggest surprise of the evening. This is a wine I am seriously thinking of buying a bottle of. It is earthy, juicy, savoury with a fresh herbal lift - very open and complex and will seemingly develop well. The palate is rather low in acid like all, but is harmonious and retains a sense of freshness amidst all the copious fruit. The aftertaste is fresh. I thought this would have been the Haut-Brion as it is such an earthy and elegant (if that word can be used this year) style of wine. I am glad to say it is 10 times cheaper too! :)

d'Issan 2003 was a well made wine, but I just couldn't get past the roasted character of the fruit. It did have some true Margaux red-toned scents also, it was sweet but not confected. If I weren't so put off by the charred character, this would have been fine.

Dauzac 2003 was less to my taste: confected, espresso, roasted. The palate was light, juicy and sweet - too smooth. I'll pass.

The joker of the night was Faugères 2003 which in all honesty I found disgusting. The nose was port-like (and not even a good port at that) and blue toned and very simple and head-ache inducingly sweet. The palate was and acidless blob of smoothness and sweetness. The aftertaste burned more than whisky. Vile.

The dessert was a bit more in the right direction. Anselmann Huxelrebe Trockenbeerenauslese 1999 is not a good wine, but it was welcome after the previous freakish concoctions. It was very botrytised on the nose. The palate was very low in acid, had little freshness and there was no aftertaste at all.

At home with dinner I opened up Phélan-Ségur 1998. It's not a great wine, but it is after the Krug the best today. It smells like Claret. Yum. At last I'm smiling contentedly.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Bordeaux 2003 Part One

by James Dietz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 pm

Ouch!! For such a hyped vintage, not a very good showing. I just checked CT, and I have 12 different '03s in stock.. of the ones you tried, I only have the GPL.... which, like you, I have usually found very good (the 2000 has been open to drink since it was released). I only hope that maybe the wine was in a difficult stage.. or maybe even an off bottle.

Haven't you been positive on the Cantemerle before (I know it wasn't in the tasting.. but you do say you haven't liked the vintage)? I'm even thinking I bought it cuz of your recommendation!!!!

And the Léoville Poyferré and Barton? These have received wonderful reviews.... so... they can't all be as bad as you say, no??

I'm surprised the Greysac showed so well.. for me, it has always had a dull, green streak that I have not enjoyed.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:53 am

Have you tried Lynch-Bages? I just had a small tasting sized pour, but I thought it was delicous in a complex, strange, unique way unlike any california Cabernet. How about Pichon Lalande? It's getting decent reviews.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 am

James: I'm not so sure it was a bad bottle and it wasn't in anymore an awkward stage than the others. I simply didn't like it. I have actually had very positive results with two red 2003s: Cantemerle and Haut-Bailly and I own both. So yes, you are right that I don't like the vintage - yet I do like some individual wines.

A bit odd about you not liking Greysac - I thought it remarkably similar to the Cantemerle (just not so deep or complex). Have you tried the Cantemerle yet? I might have given a bad recco for you if you don't like this style.

Léoville-Poyferré is a wine that I don't like the style of. I haven't tasted the '03. Barton rocks in all vintages I've had, so I'm hoping I'll have a chance to taste it soon.

Brian: I've not tasted either in '03. Lunch-Bags 2002 was quite "modern" in style which surprised me very much. Lalande is another my favourite properties. Though I don't tend to like warm vintages as much as most people, I did find Lalande 2000 absolutely fantastic, so I have high hopes for the '03 also. Not tasted it yet, and I don't think any came to Finland so I guess I won't taste it.

-O-(getting a bit scared of next weeks Part Two)
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Ch. L'Arrosée 2003 was even sweeter and more spoofulated smelling than the Haut-Brion! It was confected, chocolate ice-cream smelling, coconut juice. The palate was flabby, alcoholic, unbalanced, raisiny and utterly spoofulated. Not for me.

Clos de l'Oratoire 2003 was the biggest surprise of the evening. This is a wine I am seriously thinking of buying a bottle of. It is earthy, juicy, savoury with a fresh herbal lift - very open and complex and will seemingly develop well. The palate is rather low in acid like all, but is harmonious and retains a sense of freshness amidst all the copious fruit. The aftertaste is fresh. I thought this would have been the Haut-Brion as it is such an earthy and elegant (if that word can be used this year) style of wine. I am glad to say it is 10 times cheaper too! :)

Otto, while I follow your opinions on other regions (and esp. Musar!), I don't know if I can track your Bordeauxventures. Arrosee and coconut juice? This chateau usually makes elegant, almost Burgundian expressions of Bordeaux. Perhaps the vintage here? If you try the 2005 of this, I'd like to hear what you have to say because I am thinking of picking a couple. And you Liking the Oratoire? My experience has been the 1999 which I have a few of and this is even in an off vintage is jammy, somewhat sweet and ripe so I am surprised that you would like an even Riper vintage of this. Hmmm. Puzlement.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Otto,
Every '03 Bordeaux I have tasted is a waste of money. No '03 in my cellar. Still some good '99 and '01 around. Unless I have a chance to taste the wine or know the producer when purchasing wines I tend to generalize. Here are two gross generalizations. Do not by any '03 wines and buy anything from '05. With respect to my German friends I hear there are some good '03 German rieslings.
Walt
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Mark, I hope my musings on Bordeaux are easier to understand in other years. But trust me, when the wines were revealed, I was much more perplexed than you seem to be. I half-jokingly suggested that we got the decanters mixed up at some point. What I've read of L'Arrosée and Clos mirror your experiences - and it seems that no one has written positively of the Clos, so the two wines you highlighted were certainly surprises to say the least.

Walt, I've not tasted '05s, but with the '03s I'm almost with you. But I have tasted two genuinely lovable wines (Haut-Bailly and Cantemerle) that I am glad to have - and which I of course tasted before buying.

-O-