The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three wines

by Florida Jim » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:43 pm

2005 Amesguren, Getariako Txakolina Ameztoi:
Hondarrabi zuri is the grape, the Basque region of Spain its origin, 11% alcohol and a moderate spritz which is refreshing in the mouth. If there is a better aperitif wine, I can’t think of it. This is bright, citrus-flavored juice with a lacy texture, a cleansing acidity and a lightweight delivery that makes my mouth water. Imported by de Maison Selections and about $14; I’ll buy more.

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Murto Vineyard:
There is a stemmy, minty tone on the nose and, to some degree on the palate, and I can’t quite decide if it detracts or accents the rich, broad red and black fruit scents and flavors; texture of satin, full in the mouth but not heavy, 13.7% alcohol, balanced and persistent. If I have to guess (and I do, as I have several more bottles), this needs to be left alone for a year or two. About $30, on release; I’m ambivalent about repurchase.

2005 Dom. de la Voûtes Crozes (Chanrion), Cote-de-Brouilly:
I want to drink this wine; the idea of tasting this wine seems forced; lots of “stuff” here – black fruit, minerality, complexity, harmony, face powder aromatics; echoes of the same on the palate with a hidden structure, excellent breadth and balance, 13% alcohol; a substantial and layered finish. Not especially acidic but lots of bright flavors.
No “gobs” of anything; no hedonism; no hypothetical combination of X and Y; no blockbuster or tour de force. Any and all adjectives are diminished by the drinking – this wine appeals to me on a visceral level; let me drink deeply and not have to think about description. Oh yeah, this is good!
Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $14; I bought some and will buy a lot more.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Three wines

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:44 pm

2005 Dom. de la Voûtes Crozes (Chanrion), Cote-de-Brouilly

Jim, I have a six pack of this wine but have not yet pulled a cork. It sounds from your note there is no rush for a year or two???
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Randy,
Its cheap and its great, now. Open one immediately and, if I'm wrong, you're out $14. 8)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:38 am

Not wrong. We had this with chicken breasts and a sesame seed coating last night -- very nice. The wine is really fleshy and juicy. I gassed the remainder and had it tonight. It was even better tonight, leading me to believe this will easily evolve for a couple of years, but why? It is terrific now.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:13 am

Randy,
I also had a bottle that was left on the counter a couple days (corked only)and found no ill effects from air and that the wine's texture and depth seemed better. I think I'll stick several in the cellar - there is a great deal of very high quality Beaujolais in 2005 - I'll post some comparative notes soon.
I think it fair to say that money spent on the 05 vintage is well spent.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Three wines

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Gonna have to get me some of that Brouilly. [scribble scribble]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Gonna have to get me some of that Brouilly. [scribble scribble]

Jenise,
It is a nice wine, especially at the price point. But, as my comment implies, you are going to have to try hard to find a bad cru Beaujolias in 2005. Quite a year, IMO.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:24 pm

Jim, I know. I've tasted about 12 of them so far and have bought a few for the cellar. Your Voutes-Crozes sounds a lot like the ones I've liked best.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov