The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What will the next successful Italian variety here?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: What will the next successful Italian variety here?

by Carl Eppig » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:26 am

Thomas wrote:What do you think makes this so?

Because they adapt, and not all the same. Grand champs are mother and son. The second best group is Merlot & Chard, and you could probably thow in Syrah. The third group experiences difficulty. Most other grapes don't adapt very well except in very special places; for example Malbec in Mendoza.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:25 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:
Thomas wrote:What do you think makes this so?

Because they adapt, and not all the same. Grand champs are mother and son. The second best group is Merlot & Chard, and you could probably thow in Syrah. The third group experiences difficulty. Most other grapes don't adapt very well except in very special places; for example Malbec in Mendoza.

Carl,

I understand that they adapt, or they wouldn't, well, be adapting. My question goes to why it might be that they do adapt and others don't.

I haven't read or seen any research on that particular subject--would love to know if any exists. I think it's a fascinating subject.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:48 pm

Thomas wrote:In NE Italy, a great deal of the Pinot Grigio is far better than jazzed up water. Now, Santa Margawreaking is another story...
The same can be said for the Pinot Gris in Oregon. Much of it is far better than jazzed-up water.
Previous