The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A Faugeres night in Albany

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

A Faugeres night in Albany

by Covert » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:09 pm

If any of my fellow forum members ever get grounded in Albany, because of Muslim saying his prayers on a plane, or for whatever reason, you really should stop in for dinner at Jack’s Oyster House. It captures the history and soul of William Kennedy Old Albany like no other place.

I went last night because as I walked to my mailbox, I noticed that it was balmy and likely to be the last summer-like day of the year. It just seemed wrong to repair back to my den. Lynn bit without hesitation and the convertible air was still 66 degrees for our ride home.

Anyway, like a typical Albany restaurant, they had only one Bordeaux on the menu, and of course it wasn’t very old: 2002 Faugeres. At first I thought it would probably be tight because of the thick 2002 skins. I had never ventured any 2002 Bordeaux…but then I put my geek hat on. I remembered that of course Michel Rolland was their consultant, and there would be no way in hell that the wine wouldn’t be approachable. I was so proud that I knew these things. So I ordered a bottle.

I just have to tell you that I have never drunk a bottle so New World. If it hadn’t tasted just a touch classy, I would have sworn it was a California Merlot. The sweetest fruit you could imagine in a Bordeaux, a little licorice and a little spice.

I swear that Jack’s has basically only two kinds of waiters (no women): blacks that are real black and white guys with blonde hair who look like Joe Bugner (he was an old ‘70s heavyweight fighter).

As one such server walked by, Lynn called out to him (I have never mentioned my observations about the waiters to her). She asked the man if he boxed. He stepped up and said he did, not professionally; but he sure enjoyed working out with a heavy bag, on his porch, even in the winter. Lynn told him that he moved like a fighter. I was so proud that she knew such things. Lynn took off her jacket and flexed her bare biceps a bit. I know she was hoping the waiter would notice how developed she is from her work in the gym. Yin and Yang we are, but I’m not so sure anymore which is which.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: A Faugeres night in Albany

by Sam Platt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:53 pm

Covert,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am in Albany for business on occasion and will give it a try. I have been to an Italian place there called "Lombardi's" (?) that is was quite good.

PS: I think that you are "Yang". :wink:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Good sum up, 3 lines on the "international' and 7 lines on your wife`s muscles!!!!
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:48 am

Sam Platt wrote:Covert,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am in Albany for business on occasion and will give it a try. I have been to an Italian place there called "Lombardi's" (?) that is was quite good.

PS: I think that you are "Yang". :wink:

Sam,

You might mean Lombardo's, at the Foot of Madison Avenue (121). That was one of my three regular spots back in 1963 when I lived at the Dewitt Clinton Hotel, a few doors up from Jack's, at the foot of State Street, below the Capitol.

The third, and favorite, was Keeler's, on Green Street, where it intersects with State Street. But the fine restaurant within and along with the contrasting and infamous old red light / riverside barroom district has been torn down to make way for the Pepsi Arena and other modern establishments. But a bit of the old district remains, such as the mission for the homeless, which was kind of the center of it, spiritually, and geographically.

Close by, Lombardo's was a favorite for taking dates because of the romantic Italian opera on the Juke Box. It also had wonderful authentic Italian food. My wife often suggests we go back for old time's sake, and, with your reminder, we will.

Covert
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:22 pm

Covert wrote:You might mean Lombardo's, at the Foot of Madison Avenue (121).

Covert,

I think that you are correct. This was an older place not far from the river. Somehow I remember being on Pearl Street when we were trying to find it. Very good food, and the tiramisu came highly recommended.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:18 pm

Good tale, nicely told. But "convertible air"? Do we have a new car?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:11 am

Jenise wrote:Good tale, nicely told. But "convertible air"? Do we have a new car?

Not yet. That was a nod to you plus the occasional under-the-stars feeling that an open top is essential. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:31 am

Sam,

Yes, it's just up from (to the west of) Pearl Street.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Cohen

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 pm

Ballston Lake, NY (upstate)

by Bob Cohen » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:33 am

Covert,

I live just north of Albany. I haven't been to Jack's for years (though I walk or drive by it every now and then). I remember first going to Jack's back in the early 1970s, and I think they take pride in having it change not at all.
--Bob
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:44 pm

Bob Cohen wrote:Covert,

I live just north of Albany. I haven't been to Jack's for years (though I walk or drive by it every now and then). I remember first going to Jack's back in the early 1970s, and I think they take pride in having it change not at all.

Hi Neighbor,

Lynn and I live in both Clifton Park (Albany bedroom community) and Chestertown, so we have you surrounded. I was in Ballston Spa just yesterday visiting the leather shop, Jenne. Lynn has to have the tops of high boots reduced in diameter: her calf muscles have not kept pace with her biceps. And I used to take my niece to a dentist there, Thomas Pray. You might know him; he is a Bordeaux collector.

Jack's has changed only one thing since I started dining there in the '50s: regrettably their famous salad dressing. It used to be Roquefort, but some time in the late '80s or early '90s they changed it to blue cheese. The waiters swore that it was never changed, admitting it would have been blasphemous to alter their signature salad; but I think they just didn't know, rather than lied. The traditional salad was the fundamental reason that I looked forward to going, and I usually ordered a second one, they were so fabulous. Now I go, less often, for the transportation back in time.

Have you tried McGuire's on Lark?

Covert