The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Italian red and a tawny Port before a revival

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Italian red and a tawny Port before a revival

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:52 am

I had tickets to see John Fogerty (songwriter and former member of Creedence Clearwater Revival) at DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center) last night. My friend that was to accompany me had to travel to New Hampshire to assist her daughter and the friend that was supposed to take her place became ill so I went on my own. I dined at Revolution Restaurant two blocks from DPAC. I wanted to order Pappardelle so asked the server whether he would recommend a Valpolicella or a Vincent Girardin Bourgogne Rouge to pair with it. The server was convinced that the Valpolicella would be a better pairing so that is what I ordered by the glass.
2009 BUSSOLA VALPOLICELLA, NEGRAR, ITALY. This was a dark purple color with a crimson rim. I found bright cherries on the nose with a hint of chocolate as well; very fruity but with a little depth of earth or mineral (iron) underlying the fruit. The Valpolicella acquired some spicy notes with aeration. I liked it but found it a bit fruity for the pappardelle. At the prices listed on wine-searcher.com this seems to be good qpr.

I passed on a salad or appetizer so that I could have some dessert. (Portions are large and I did not eat all of the pappardelle or all of the dessert.) I had the apple crisp with caramel sauce that came with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and the
WARRE OTIMA 10-YEAR TAWNY PORT. The Port was a light to medium amber color. The fragrance fell somewhere between dried apricot and prune which carried over to the flavors. I also sensed some ground nuts as part of the palate impression. It had a little heat but not overly so and a dryness that I prefer over sweetness in Tawny Ports. I was a satisfied diner and got to the DPAC in plenty of time. Good concert but I would have wished that the musicians were a little less loud so that John's singing would have stood out more. I bought a CD that benefits the Shriner's Hospital for Children and was entered in the raffle for a signed guitar but didn't win. At least I didn't need to worry about being mugged for the guitar as I left the venue.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Italian red and a tawny Port before a revival

by Sam Platt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:06 am

JC,

The Otima 10 has become my house Port. It is quite reliable if not always stunning.

A new restaurant opened in town which sells Otima 10 and Otima 20 for the same cheap price of $4.50 per glass. The Otima 20 is definitely mispriced. I plan to drink as much of it as I can before they catch on to the error.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Italian red and a tawny Port before a revival

by JC (NC) » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:03 am

I don't blame you. I would do the same.