The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Preston Petite Sirah '11 Dry Creek Valley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Preston Petite Sirah '11 Dry Creek Valley

by John Treder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:45 am

I went to K&L Bistro in Sebastopol tonight. Good supper.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts salad - it had a tart lemony dressing and something like pine nuts. The Brussels sprouts were, I think, blanched, then shredded.
Farfalle with pancetta, broccoli, (some other green stuff probably spinach) in a cream sauce with Parmesan.
Cheese plate - Romano, Camembert and a local white-crusted goat cheese that I don't remember the name of, but it was really excellent - and a couple of crusts of toasted ciabatta bread.
I had a couple of glasses of Preston Petite Sirah '11 that was very humdrum. It was mildly sweet on entry, had no particular bite to it, and a short, soft finish. I would have thought it a humdrum Zin, except no berries, or a humdrum Syrah, except darn little pepper.
I try Preston (it's a Dry Creek Valley winery across the creek from David Coffaro) every few years and I'm always disappointed, despite the fact that I see it recommended quite often.

Had I known what the pasta offering was, I'd have brought a bottle of something. I guess I should have called and asked. My bad.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:39 am

John Treder wrote:I went to K&L Bistro in Sebastopol tonight. Good supper.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts salad - it had a tart lemony dressing and something like pine nuts. The Brussels sprouts were, I think, blanched, then shredded.
Farfalle with pancetta, broccoli, (some other green stuff probably spinach) in a cream sauce with Parmesan.
Cheese plate - Romano, Camembert and a local white-crusted goat cheese that I don't remember the name of, but it was really excellent - and a couple of crusts of toasted ciabatta bread.
I had a couple of glasses of Preston Petite Sirah '11 that was very humdrum. It was mildly sweet on entry, had no particular bite to it, and a short, soft finish. I would have thought it a humdrum Zin, except no berries, or a humdrum Syrah, except darn little pepper.
I try Preston (it's a Dry Creek Valley winery across the creek from David Coffaro) every few years and I'm always disappointed, despite the fact that I see it recommended quite often.
Had I known what the pasta offering was, I'd have brought a bottle of something. I guess I should have called and asked. My bad.

Yup....love the K&L Bistro, John.
Yup....the Preston wines seem pretty hum-drum these days. So sad. Back in the late-'70's/early-'80's, Lou made some stunningwines. One of the
first Syrahs in the DCV. And a PS/Syrah blend that was fabulous. And his Zin was one of the best around. And his Chateau Faux-Castel was always fun
until the Perrins cracked down on that name.
Last time I stopped into the tasting room & tasted thru the lineup, some 5-6 yrs ago, I was pretty disappointed and all I could think of was how
the mighty have fallen. They weren't bad wines....but just didn't move me at all. By far, the best thing there was Lou's wood-fired oven bread.
I think Lou is just sorta going thru the motions anymore.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Preston Petite Sirah '11 Dry Creek Valley

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Wow. I actually like the Preston reds more than you guys. Have not tasted the straight Petit Sirah bottling, but I quite enjoyed the Syrah-Petit blend. :shock:

I think my favorite Dry Creek winery now, tho0ugh, is Da Vera further south. Their 2009 Sangiovese actually tastes like Sangiovese!

Interestingly enough, Coffaro, which many here rave about, tasted so over the top and hot to me...they almost burned my throat.

Weird!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Preston Petite Sirah '11 Dry Creek Valley

by John Treder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

My taste does shift around over time. I notice I have more Chardonnay and more Cabernet Sauvignon than I used to, and less Sauvignon Blanc and Syrah. I'm still a Zinaholic, though. :P
John in the wine county