NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

Postby TomHill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:44 am

Very nicely done article by Eric in today's NYTimes:
NYTimes:FingerLakeRieslings
which brings some well-deserved publicity to the area. Wish we could find some of those wines out west.
Interesting that the most controversial wine was a extended skin-contact Riesling. No surprise there. I understand they're experimenting some w/ that technique in Germany, but have not tried any yet.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

Postby David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:58 am

Lots of lees contact in Germany. I have not tried a skin contact Riesling either.

I'm sure the cool kids will let us know that orange riesling is all the rage. :mrgreen:
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:09 pm

TomHill wrote:Very nicely done article by Eric in today's NYTimes:
NYTimes:FingerLakeRieslings
which brings some well-deserved publicity to the area. Wish we could find some of those wines out west.
Interesting that the most controversial wine was a extended skin-contact Riesling. No surprise there. I understand they're experimenting some w/ that technique in Germany, but have not tried any yet.
Tom

When I produced Finger Lakes Riesling in the 1980s, I did two consecutive vintages with skin contact. The first won an award and the wine lived for more than 13 years before starting to fade; the second, not so much. Ran out of money before I was able to research why the difference.

Oh, and the Bloomer Creek that Eric talked about: a producer that tries all kinds of experiments and comes up with quite an array of wines.
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower

Postby Jon Leifer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Thomas: back in the day when I spent more time than we do recently travelling the east side of Seneca Lake, I wd buy Bloomer Creek wines from a stand/store near the Stone Kat Kafe..Are they still there? If no, where is the winery located?
Jon
Jon Leifer
Ultra geek

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Thomas: back in the day when I spent more time than we do recently travelling the east side of Seneca Lake, I wd buy Bloomer Creek wines from a stand/store near the Stone Kat Kafe..Are they still there? If no, where is the winery located?

Jon,

They have their own space, and I believe it's close to the cafe. http://www.bloomercreek.com/
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower

Postby Jon Leifer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks, Thomas..guess they aren't that far from Damiani so we can visit both plus Lamoreaux pretty easily on same trip plus a side trip to west side of Cayuga while we are at it
Jon
Jon Leifer
Ultra geek

Return to The Wine Forum