WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

Postby TomHill » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Tried this Fri night w/ friends:
1. Solminer DryRiesling RanchoSisquoc/SantaMariaVlly (98 cs; 13.7%; http://www.Solminer.com) David & Anna deLaski/Lompoc 2012: Med.light color; lovely floral/R/piney some stony/mineral/valve oil quite spicy rather perfumed nose; fairly tart somewhat piney/pineapply/floral/R some stony/mineral totally dry some lean/tight/austere flavor; med. tart/tangy dry somewhat pineapply/floral/R/bit piney light stony/mineral finish; a very nicely done Calif R w/ a nice balance between fruit & minerality w/o straying into the tutti-fruity side; some like an Ojai w/o the screechy acidity, some like the Claibourne&Churchill but w/ more minerality. $26.00
1. I've (now) followed Solminer from the very start. I tried their GruVee at NEB4 and liked it quite a lot, so ordered some of everything they make to try. Couldn't resist cracking one Fri night. David & Anna deLaski, w/ vnyd in LosOlivos. Their background is from Austria & the style shows it. Definitely a wnry to watch.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Appreciate you promoting Calif Riesling Tom, not that I will ever see much of it up here :lol:.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Yup....

Postby TomHill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Appreciate you promoting Calif Riesling Tom, not that I will ever see much of it up here :lol:.

Yup, Bob....always willing to shill for one of my favorite grapes. I'm rather impressed w/ some/many of the Calif Rieslings I've
been tasting over the last few yrs. With higher acidities and less-to-no RS, they seem to be getting better. But I feel for
the marketing departments who have to sell the stuff.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: WTN: Solminer DryRiesling '12...(short/boring)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Marketing of BC rieslings could be tricky too but the ones in town here sell pretty well......Cave Spring (Ont), Tantalus, Ex Nihilo etc.
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to The Wine Forum