The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Enjoying Food without Wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Enjoying Food without Wine

by Brian Gilp » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:57 am

I meet some friends at a chain steakhouse last night that had a wine list so poor that beer was the best option. The steak was neither wonderful nor awful. What surprised me was that I found I could not enjoy the steak without wine. Thinking back over the 15 or so years since I started exploring wine, I believe there are some foods that I have always enjoyed with wine and my experience last night now has me wondering if I now could no longer get the same enjoyment from the food alone.

Along with noticing that I did not enjoy the steak without wine, I also realized that my wife and I have modified our eating habits such that we cook ourselves, eat at the houses of wine loving friends, or eat at restaurants with good wine service. A notable exception to this being the local crab houses. Apparently our approach toward food has become wine centric without even being concise of the fact.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Ejoying Food without Wine

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:50 am

Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:07 pm

I don't know. I never checked. I guess I just assumed that they did not.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm

Just wondering because most of the seasonal seafood places on the New England coast allow it and in many cases encurage it. Some just let you bring everything in a tote and don't charge you anything. Others have small corkage and provide you with setups.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:10 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?

Some in Baltimore (a bit north of where Brian lives, I think) certainly do, Carl. But steamed crabs served the way crab houses do in these parts may be the most beer-demanding dish I know.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:47 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?

Some in Baltimore (a bit north of where Brian lives, I think) certainly do, Carl. But steamed crabs served the way crab houses do in these parts may be the most beer-demanding dish I know.

I have to admit--beer and steamed crabs is better than any wine I've tried with them, but of course I haven't tried every wine with them--yet.

But back to Brian's post: welcome to the club. The rare times when I am forced to dine without wine, I literally have to be forced.
Thomas P