Enjoying Food without Wine

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Enjoying Food without Wine

Postby Brian Gilp » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:57 am

I meet some friends at a chain steakhouse last night that had a wine list so poor that beer was the best option. The steak was neither wonderful nor awful. What surprised me was that I found I could not enjoy the steak without wine. Thinking back over the 15 or so years since I started exploring wine, I believe there are some foods that I have always enjoyed with wine and my experience last night now has me wondering if I now could no longer get the same enjoyment from the food alone.

Along with noticing that I did not enjoy the steak without wine, I also realized that my wife and I have modified our eating habits such that we cook ourselves, eat at the houses of wine loving friends, or eat at restaurants with good wine service. A notable exception to this being the local crab houses. Apparently our approach toward food has become wine centric without even being concise of the fact.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru

Re: Ejoying Food without Wine

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:50 am

Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Brian Gilp » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:07 pm

I don't know. I never checked. I guess I just assumed that they did not.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Just wondering because most of the seasonal seafood places on the New England coast allow it and in many cases encurage it. Some just let you bring everything in a tote and don't charge you anything. Others have small corkage and provide you with setups.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Clinton Macsherry » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:10 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?

Some in Baltimore (a bit north of where Brian lives, I think) certainly do, Carl. But steamed crabs served the way crab houses do in these parts may be the most beer-demanding dish I know.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
Clinton Macsherry
Ultra geek

Postby Thomas » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:47 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't the local crab houses allow BYOB?

Some in Baltimore (a bit north of where Brian lives, I think) certainly do, Carl. But steamed crabs served the way crab houses do in these parts may be the most beer-demanding dish I know.

I have to admit--beer and steamed crabs is better than any wine I've tried with them, but of course I haven't tried every wine with them--yet.

But back to Brian's post: welcome to the club. The rare times when I am forced to dine without wine, I literally have to be forced.
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower

Return to The Wine Forum