The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bucklin Zin OldHillRanch '10..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Bucklin Zin OldHillRanch '10..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am

Tried this new (to NM) wine w/ John on Sat:
1. Bucklin Zin OldHillRanch/SonomaVlly (AncientFieldBlend; Planted in 1880's; 293 cs; 15.8%; www.buckZin.com) 2010: Dark color; strong blackberry/Zin/spicy/boysenberry/black cherry/RCCola bit licorice/chocolatey rather dusty/OV very light vanilla/oak lovely/spicy nose; fairly tart rather tannic/hard strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/RCCola quite dusty/OV bit peppery/herbal/rosemary light vanilla/oak flavor; very long rather hard/tannic very strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry slight licorice/peppery quite dusty/OV slight vanilla/oak finish; a classic example of an OldVine Zin; needs 2-6 yrs to soften a bit, but will probably always be on the tannic side; no obvious alcohol or heat; a beautiful Zin. $34.00 (SFW&S)
1. I have, of course, followed OldHillRanch Zin from the very start. Well.....maybe not that start...but when it was made famous by JoelPeterson at Ravenswood in the late '70's. It's always been one of my favorite Zins, year in & year out.
I've never seen the "AncientFieldBlend" on the front label of the Bucklin. Usually, they make just three: Bambino (from younger vines), standard OldHillRanch, and then a MixedBlacks. So, don't know if this is a "new" wine for Will or not. But, whatever it is, it's danged good. I was struck by how hard & tannic iit was on the palate and it may be a wine that never comes together and outlives those tannins.
Tom