The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alto Adige, Etna, Sancerre, Kremstal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Alto Adige, Etna, Sancerre, Kremstal

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Nothing says oysters like Sylvaner. Ok, so that’s not true, but I was shucking a dozen and had a bottle of the 2012 Kofererhof Sylvaner that I wanted to try. Full, dry, nice white fruits with floral accents, a deep mineral streak. Mountain wines and raw bar, whoodathunk. B+

Dinner was grilled teriyaki salmon, kohlrabi and carrots (from a pressure cooker with sauce from the chicken/figs recipe of previous night), and grilled caprese salad. The 2011 Terre Nere Etna (rosso) was just what I needed- bright red fruit, good acids, nice herby notes. Nice finish, I generally like this entry wine more than some of their more expensive reds. B+/B

Saturday was pork chops, corn, squash with za’atar, and a mizuna salad with radish and avocado. Pork chops were in a white wine marinade, using the 2011 Zuazo Gaston Rioja. Hard plastic cork, and lots of reduction at opening. Tasted later, cleaner, a simple fruity wine, but who’s complaining at $7. C+/B-

Dinner wine was the 2012 Dauny “Pynoz” Sancerre rose. Cherry and strawberry, straightforward, new producer to me that I had hoped to be a bit more excited by. B-

Yesterday afternoon Betsy and 2 friends went to a ziker in the city, by job was to have dinner ready when they returned: grilled chicken wings, in a pair of sauces- a garam masala butter sauce, and a miso sauce. There was also salad, rice with furikake and nori, and green beans sauteed in duck fat. Rose with the miso wings was decent match, with the garam masala wings I preferred the 2008 Nigl “Privat” Riesling. Very full-bodied, ripe apples, lemon, ginger, minerals. Steely acids backbone, long. Wish this wasn’t my only bottle. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.