The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Looking for mature wines in Paris or Beaune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

Looking for mature wines in Paris or Beaune

by Ted Richards » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:29 am

We're off to Paris and Burgundy later this week (but I'll be checking this site while we're there). I'm looking for wine shops where I can buy mature vintages (particularly red or white Burgundy or red Hermitage/Côte Rôtie) in either Paris or Beaune. Rahsaan's reference to Les Caprices de l'Instant back in May sounds like a good choice. Any other suggestions?
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Re: Looking for mature wines in Paris or Beaune

by Joshua Kates » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi Ted,

When I was in Paris in June I ran across a place in the 5th that specialized in old bottles. It was closed at that time, but it appeared from the window to be well stocked. Unfortunately, I forget the name, though I believe it was in Latin. In any case, the wineshop was catty-corner from a very well known (and not bad and inexpensive) restaurant named La Methode, which is itself situated, where else?, than in the Rue Descartes!

Sorry, for the riddling reply; I hope that's of some help. Enjoy your trip!

Josh
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:45 am

Ted,
when in Paris try La Maison des Millesimes or Au Verger de la Madeleine! You can get a 61 Figeac for less than 200 Euro and a 45 LLC for less than 500. Be sure to ask about provenance, though, as most older bottles have been too warmly stored. Surprisingly few Frenchmen know the importance of perfect storage. If you are looking for Burgundy, Beaune is the place to scour. Just visit all the small shops and ask for advice!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Not sure in comparison to Canada, but even when dollar was strong against euro (or francs!) I never found particular bargains in France on older wines. I think France is maybe a better hunting ground for interesting younger wines that might not get imported. That said, I found some well priced older white Burgs at the Cave de Puligny, outside of Beaune. I think (could be wrong) that the cave is a bit of a co-op effort for the commune, and others might have similar.
As Frederik said I'd be particular about condition.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Not sure in comparison to Canada, but even when dollar was strong against euro (or francs!) I never found particular bargains in France on older wines...

For the big famous shops, sure, I'd agree. They price on an international scale. But in my experiences France is more likely to have the small shop with the proprietor who knows the producers and cellars older vintages with minimal markup out of love for the wine/regions. This type of capitalism is much much harder/impossible to find in the US.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Fredrik L wrote:If you are looking for Burgundy, Beaune is the place to scour. Just visit all the small shops and ask for advice!

Ypu got that right! The captain/tour guide of our barge tour sent me to a wonderful shop in Beaune called "Mon Millesime". Their wines (mostly Burgundies) were arranged in vintage order. The main floor had vintages from 2012 back to 1982, while the basement had vintages from 1981 to 1906. I was able to pick up some Burgundies from the '70s and '80s for quite reasonable prices. The staff spoke English and were very helpful. I highly recommend it. It's about a 10 minute walk from the Hospice de Beaune.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 am

Great! :D

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L