The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Four more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Four more

by Florida Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:49 am

2005 Giacosa, Roero Arneis:
Sappy, slightly resinous white wine with good acidity, a fine texture and lots of persistence. Especially good with Diane’s white chili soup. Imported by Locascio and about $20; I’d buy it again.

2004 Dom. La Garrigue, Vacqueyras:
Salty and meaty on the nose; full bodied and savory in the mouth without great weight and a balanced, medium length finish. It may be 80% grenache and 14% alcohol but it doesn’t taste it – and for me, that’s a good thing. Imported by Eric Solomon and about $15; I’d buy it again.

1996 Dunham, Cabernet Sauvignon II:
The nose is the aromatic embodiment of the concept ‘clear-cut;’ ultra-pasteurized, confected, oak syrup in the mouth with the unrelenting taste of wood sap on the palate that makes one want to spit. DNPIM. About $50 on release: I wouldn’t pay 1/5,000th of that for it.

1999 Giacosa, Barolo Falletto:
The antidote for the preceding beverage and if any bottle of fermented grape juice can be worth $90 (and I’d argue against that), this is the one. Perfect balance, class, immense concentration without being extractive, a ripe and substantial structure, and a plethora of nebbiolo flavors and scents that are so harmonious that this wine geek can only be humbly grateful for such miracles. Has decades of life in the cellar but is sensational now. Imported by Locascio and, if I had the money, I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Four more

by Randy Buckner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:02 pm

2004 Dom. La Garrigue, Vacqueyras: Salty and meaty on the nose; full bodied and savory in the mouth without great weight and a balanced, medium length finish. It may be 80% grenache and 14% alcohol but it doesn’t taste it – and for me, that’s a good thing. Imported by Eric Solomon and about $15; I’d buy it again.

I bought a case of this wine -- killer QPR. What's up with "it may be 80% Grenache?" I take it you do not like M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape Barbe Rac, or Rayas Chateauneuf du Pape?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:14 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:I take it you do not like M. Chapoutier Chateauneuf du Pape Barbe Rac, or Rayas Chateauneuf du Pape?

Rarely.
Of course there are exceptions (for instance, Edmunds St. John uses grenache in some of it's blends and I like most of those) but in the main, grenache and I do not get along.
Mourvedre, OTOH, is much more to my taste - Bandol is my friend.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Jim, yours is the first note I've read on an older Dunham. I had one tase of a VI and liked the VIII so much I bought some for my cellar. Judging by your note, he's pulled back from the oak quite a bit. Still probably isn't your cup of tea, but compared to many other winemakers in the state Eric's (current) wines seem rather restrained. At least, they're not sweet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:34 pm

Jenise wrote:Judging by your note, he's pulled back from the oak quite a bit. Still probably isn't your cup of tea, but compared to many other winemakers in the state Eric's (current) wines seem rather restrained. At least, they're not sweet.

Any change would be a good change.
I very much enjoy Eric; I do wish I could say that about his wine.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:46 pm

He still used 100 percent new French and American oak barrels for the VIII -- too much for my preference.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:37 pm

Randy, had trouble accepting 100% new oak so I called the winery. Damn, you're right, but it really didn't taste that extreme to me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:48 pm

Damn, you're right

And don't you forget it, little missy.... :twisted: I find his wines very early on may not taste as oaked as they do a year or so down the road -- they don't seem to integrate -- but then again, I've never had one at 10-12 years of age. Maybe it is the American oak I object too. I become less enamored with it as time goes by.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:36 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:And don't you forget it, little missy....

Yes, Pops. [smooch]

I find his wines very early on may not taste as oaked as they do a year or so down the road

That matches my experience. I have a couple VI's--maybe it's time to taste one. Re American oak--so much in agreement there. But he uses less than half American, and again I didn't taste it in the young wine. Older can be another story.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Jenise wrote:
Randy Buckner wrote:And don't you forget it, little missy....

Yes, Pops. [smooch]

All right, you two, get a room already.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Re: WTN: Four more

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:12 pm

My first experience w/ a nebbiolo was a 2001 Bruno Giacosa Nebbiolo D'Alba at a restaurant for about $42. I'm a novice and am not very good at identifying particular components of smell/taste, but that wine was simply sublime in my opinion.

So your description of the barolo falletto makes me want to drop someone from my Christmas list and treat myself!!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Re: WTN: Four more

by Florida Jim » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:21 pm

K Story wrote:My first experience w/ a nebbiolo was a 2001 Bruno Giacosa Nebbiolo D'Alba at a restaurant for about $42. I'm a novice and am not very good at identifying particular components of smell/taste, but that wine was simply sublime in my opinion.!

I bought cases of that wine - for the very reason you state.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars