The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Asimov on StJoseph

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Asimov on StJoseph

by TomHill » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Nicely done article in today's NYTimes by Eric on the wines of StJoseph:
NYTimes:StJoseph

Interesting about Chave resurecting his family's old vnyds in StJoseph.
StJoseph is where I mostly look anymore for values in NorthernRhone Syrah, now that C-R & Hermitage are so friggin' expensive.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on StJoseph

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

TomHill wrote:Nicely done article in today's NYTimes by Eric on the wines of StJoseph:
NYTimes:StJoseph

Interesting about Chave resurecting his family's old vnyds in StJoseph.
StJoseph is where I mostly look anymore for values in NorthernRhone Syrah, now that C-R & Hermitage are so friggin' expensive.
Tom

Indeed. At the risk of spreading the word, I look to Gonon, Faury and Chave (though the latter is experiencing price creep even more than the others) from St. J. Apart from Texier, those are about the only N Rhone Syrah I continue to buy.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:35 pm

If you have access to a Total Wine they have a nice selection of Croze-Hermitage. I like the entry level '09 from Cave de Tain ($16.99) and the '09 Haut de Fiefs ($21) is even more complex. But their basic Croze-Hermitage is nice and spicy. '09 was purportedly a stellar vintage. I think a few other stores carry the Cave de Tain wines as well. It is not a Total Wine exclusive.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:If you have access to a Total Wine they have a nice selection of Croze-Hermitage. I like the entry level '09 from Cave de Tain ($16.99) and the '09 Haut de Fiefs ($21) is even more complex. But their basic Croze-Hermitage is nice and spicy. '09 was purportedly a stellar vintage. I think a few other stores carry the Cave de Tain wines as well. It is not a Total Wine exclusive.

Indeed not, Richard. Cave de Tain L'Hermitage is the huge cave cooperative located in the town of Tain. They're imported into the US by Kysela and their production dwarfs that of almost every other N Rhone producer, including the big negoce operations. A lot of the big retailers in NYC carry their wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for the link Tom, although I admit that I read it last week when it first appeared in the NYT. Generally, I thought that this was a well-done article, although I would have liked to see some thoughts from Eric on the whites from St. Joseph. I can appreciate a great red from the Northern Rhone, but somehow seem to be more drawn to the whites from that region than the reds when it comes time for me to make a purchase. If Eric would have spotlighted a couple of top white St. Josephs (which would presumably retail for considerably less than most white Hermitage), I would have been even more appreciative of his article. Somehow, Syrah hasn't moved me yet in the same way that Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo can.

I'm also not certain that I can really differentiate between a St. Joseph and a Crozes, but that's another topic.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Somehow, Syrah hasn't moved me yet in the same way that Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo can.

Different grapes, different types of pleasures. I go back and forth but at the moment am in a syrah run as I appreciate the less finicky nature of the wines. (Plus I love the flavor profile)

I'm also not certain that I can really differentiate between a St. Joseph and a Crozes, but that's another topic.

I don't think anyone can. Part of the point in that article - as I read it - was that St. Joseph is so large it is not going to have a specific terroir slant. (And the same could be said of Crozes) Instead, people could become more aware of what the different areas in St. Joseph have to offer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:42 am

Rahsaan wrote:I don't think anyone can. Part of the point in that article - as I read it - was that St. Joseph is so large it is not going to have a specific terroir slant. (And the same could be said of Crozes) Instead, people could become more aware of what the different areas in St. Joseph have to offer.

I get the first part of your statement here, but not the second. If St. Joseph is too small to have a terroir slant, then what would it offer to slice it up into different areas for appreciation?

St. Joseph to me is differentiated from Crozes by the quality of the small group of producers. Crozes has Graillot and pretty much nobody else. Jaboulet's Crozes bottlings used to be very, very good, but then they fell off a cliff. They came back recently, but in a totally different style (big, extracted) and at a totally different price level (up 100% from what the wines used to cost).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:I don't think anyone can. Part of the point in that article - as I read it - was that St. Joseph is so large it is not going to have a specific terroir slant. (And the same could be said of Crozes) Instead, people could become more aware of what the different areas in St. Joseph have to offer.

I get the first part of your statement here, but not the second. If St. Joseph is too small to have a terroir slant, then what would it offer to slice it up into different areas for appreciation?

It's not too small, it's too large. Especially after the expansion in the early 70s. So different parts produce different kinds of wine.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am

Gaa...posting before coffee gets me again.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:If you have access to a Total Wine they have a nice selection of Croze-Hermitage. I like the entry level '09 from Cave de Tain ($16.99) and the '09 Haut de Fiefs ($21) is even more complex. But their basic Croze-Hermitage is nice and spicy. '09 was purportedly a stellar vintage. I think a few other stores carry the Cave de Tain wines as well. It is not a Total Wine exclusive.

I recently picked up some 09 Cave de Tain's Esprit de Granit for $25 each. Not a bottling I'd seen before. If you're familiar, where does this fit in their line-up?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov