The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bring a blind bottle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Bring a blind bottle

by Saina » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:06 am

Domaine de Bablut Cabernet d'Anjou 1979
Orange-pink. Light, slightly sweet but pleasantly dried up from age, refreshing, lively and moreish with some really attractive leafy, Cabernet lift in the aromas. Lovely stuff. So they used to make Cabernet (Franc?) rosé Kabinett in the Loire! Does anyone still make it today?

Crushpad Roussanne Töövi Saralee's Vineyard 2010
Smells of oolong tea; fat fruit but clean acidity. Still a bit closed though it had been open a day.

R. López de Heredia Rioja Blanco Reserva Viña Tondonia 1993
Lovely! Spicy and oxidative aromas; waxy richness on the palate though completely dry and high in acid. I got lost in Hungary before ending up in Rioja - my first impression was of Dry Tokaji. Which was a bad guess because this is one of the most recognizable wines. Anyway, it was pretty much a perfect wine (thanks Igor!).

Chateau Musar Rouge 2005
My bottle; but everyone seemed to have guessed on first sniff what this was! :D I know that some Musarophiles coming to this tasting hadn't tried the 2005 so I took one along. And it confirmed my previous taste that this is indeed a very successful year for the property.

Jean-Marc Burgaud Morgon Côte du Py Réserve 2006
In 2008 when I tried this, I thought it was one of the tightest wines I have ever had. Age has done wonders for it: still a dark toned wine for Beaujolais, deep, dense, structured, but no longer aggressively so. It's still a "Rhône" style of Beaujolais rather than something Burgundian, but it is a nice wine and is beginning to drink well. But it's Burgaud so there's no hurry with it if you have any in the cellar. Drink and hold.

Jeff Carrel Rouge Monseigneur 2010 - Vin de Pays des Côteaux de Peyriac
A 100% Grenache from a cultish name when it comes to "natural" producers. 15% abv and it shows as being a hugely ripe wine with almost raisiny/dried fruit aromas. And there is also much new oak aroma (though apparently this oak isn't toasted at all? could I have understood correctly?). Sweet, ripe, oaky and though it doesn't use SO2 and Carrel's naturalism cannot be doubted, but it still seems like any other strongly oaky and overripe wine. So not really my sort of thing.

Domaine des Ardoisières Vin de pays d'Allobrogie Argile 2010
Gamay 80%, Persan 20%. A very attractive aroma of red toned Gamay and minerals. Juicy, lively, tangy palate. Lovely.

Crushpad Pinot Noir Töövi Hayley Vineyard 2009
Very young and primary and since it wasn't decanted, it didn't really open up. But it seemed to have good Pinosity in a fruity style, of course, since it's from California. Big palate but well structured. Hold. Or decant.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.