The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Day 10: VdP-2006 in Trier

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:49 pm

Oslo

WTN: Day 10: VdP-2006 in Trier

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:55 am

Ok it has been some time since my last report, time being to short to write recently. I know these notes from this tasting have been published here a long time ago. But I desided to do a late addition. So here are the notes from the VdP-versteigerung in Trier on September 22d:

von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
I admit striaght away that I have some problems understanding the style at von Hövel. This wine had a straw colour. The nose was nice; flowery and quite herbal. In the mouth this seems a bit soft and too creamy for me. Auction-price: 56/28,-€.

von Hövel Oberemmeler Hütte riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. The nose shows more botrytis, honey and raisins. THis is much more intence. In the mouth this shows a bit of fat and again I find it a bit too creamy and soft. Auction-price: 60,-€.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch riesling auslese 2005
Straw colour, greenish hues. Mineral and quite herbal nose. Typical Rausch, limey. In the mouth this is sweet, but refreshing. Great balance and fine acids. Very fine indeed. Auction-price: 38,5/18,5 €.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Straw/greenish colour. Perhaps a little more closed nose, mineral, herbal with some citrus. Fine botrytis. Structured and intence in the mouth. Rich and balanced. Great wine. Auction price: 92,-/44,-€.

Geltz-Zilliken Saarburger Rausch riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. Shows more botrytis, but again very well integrated and shows a lot of minerality on the nose. Limey. Slight fat in the mouth. Sweeter, but not too heavy. Great balance and refreshing style. Tremendous wine. Three really great showings from Zilliken this year. Auction-price:187,-92,-€.

Von Othegraven Kanzemer Altenberg 1er cru riesling spätlese 2005
Straw colour. Slatey nose with some botrytis. Sweet and quite creamy, yet this remains very elegant. Fine acids. Very good spätlese. Auction-price: 22,5 (Good price!!)

Le Gallais Wiltinger Braune Kupp riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Light straw colour. Mineral nose, but also some botrytis, well balanced. Quite creamy in the mouth with fine structure. Limey finish. Great auslese, but I found this a step under the quality of Egon Müllers wines this year. Auction-price: 140/82

St.Urbanshof Ockfener Bockstein riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Greenish colour. Nose shows slate, botrytis and apricot. In the mouth this is a slimmer style of auslese than the norm. Structured with fine acids. True to the Saar. Fine fruit with well-intagrated botrytis. Very fine auslese. Auction-price: 72/36

Egon Müller Scharzhofberger riesling spätlese 2005
Very light straw colour. Mineral, limey nose, very mineral and clear, transparent style. And what an explosion of intensity in the mouth. So intence, elegant, structured and long taste. Really remarkable spätlese. Tremendous wine. One of the best spätlesen I have tasted. Auction-price:67,-

Egon Müller Scharzhofberger riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Light greenish colour. Complex nose, so pure and fine minerals, so prefectly balanced with the botrytis and hints of honey. In the mouth this is sweet, yet again that truly remarkable elegance and structure. Limey, transparent, yet so weighty auslese. I find this one of the best rieslings I have tasted and my wine of the day. I wish I could afford to own some of this. Auction-price: 480/270,-

Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg riesling spätlese #38 2005
Light straw colour. A little shy nose with hints of flowers, lime, some minerals. Elegant and quite round in the mouth. Good structure. Fine, but nothing more. Auction-price was only 25,-

Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg riesling auslese lange goldkapsel #37 2005
Light greenish colour. Some spritz. Botrytis, lime and flowers in the nose. Creamy style in the mouth. Some fatness. Round style, but good structure. Fine auslese, better effort than the spätlese. Auction-price: 130/60.

Dr.Loosen Ürziger Würzgarten riesling spätlese 2005
Light yellow colour. Mineral nose with hints of earth and spice. Elegant Würzgarten in the mouth, sweet, but fine balance and structure. Refreshing. This was a very nice spätlese from Dr.Loosen. Auction-price: 32,-

Dr.Loosen Erdener Prälat riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. Nose shows botrytis, flowers, sweet fruits. Sweet and quite fat and creamy in the mouth. Intence. Fine acids and structure. A bit heavy style, but impressive. Auction-price: 410/210,-

S.A.Prüm Graacher Himmelreich riesling auslese goldkapsel #21 2005
Straw colour. Broader, more traditional style here. Hints of oxidative fruits. Flowers. Fulbodied spätlese in the mouth. Frankly a bit boring. Not up to the quality of other wines here. Fine structure. Decent. Auction-price: 57,-

Joh.Jos Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. Botrytis in the nose with hints of mineral, earth. Sweet in the mouth, showing some fat and some botrytis. Broad fruit. Slatey. Fine structure. Very good, but nothing special this day. Auction-price: 70,- /0,375L.

Willi Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr riesling spätlese 2005
Straw colour. Flowery nose with some botrytis, fine minerality. Sweet and some fatness in the mouth. Fruit shows some botrytis and not the greatest depth. Lacking a little in structure here. Nice wine, but lower quality than the norm this day. 29,-/0,375

Dr.H.Thanisch erben Thanisch Berncasteler Doctor riesling spätlese 2005
Straw/green colour. Herbal and quite broad nose with some botrytis and mineral. A slight fat in the entrance, but a quite slim and structure style. Fine. Auction-price: 32,-€

Dr.H.Thanisch erben Thanisch Berncasteler Doctor riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Light straw colour. More intence nose, mineral, more botrytis. Herbal elements. Some more fat in the mouth. Creamier, richer style. But again good structure. Needs some time to loose fat though. Fine. Auction-price: 80,-/35,-€

Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Josephshöfer riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Green/straw colour. Herbal nose, some old wood, botrytis. Broad and sweet style in the mouth. Too creamy for me, acids seems lower. Not my favorite, try again with some time. Auction-price: 100,-/50,-€

Geheimrat J.Wegeler Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Light greenish colour. Mineral nose, some botrytis, slate. Some fat in the entrance of the mouth. Decent structure. Quite slatey wine. Perhaps a bit boring at this tasting. Decent.Auction-price: 50,-/25,-€

Geheimrat J.Wegeler Bernkasteler Doctor riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Light straw colour. More intence and even more mineral nose. Herbal notes. Sweet and creamy in the mouth. Fruit quite giving right now. Quite herbal. Decent structure. Good.Auction-price: 75,-/35,-€

St.Urbans-hof Leiwener Laurentiuslay riesling spätlese 2005
Light straw/greenish colour. Reductive nose, sulphury. Some citrus. Sweet wine in the mouth with fine balance. Quite slim style, but fruit a bit hard to judge right now. Needs time. Auction-price: 24,-€

Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst riesling spätlese 2005
Light straw colour. Fruity nose; lime, tropical elements, slate. Elegant and greatle balanced spätlese in the mouth. Structured and slimmer than expected. Fine fruit. Young and refreshing. Very fine spätlese.Auction-price: 38,-€

Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. Limey fruit that shows more botrytis. Fruity. Again very fine and structured style in the mouth. Refreshing. Well integrated botrytis. Very fine again, but in context, perhaps not as impressive as the spätlese. Auction-price: 110,-/55,-€

Joh.Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling spätlese 2005
Light straw colour. Mineral, petrolly nose with some sulphur. Typical JJ Prüm-nose. In the mouth this is very elegant. Fine structure and nerve. Qutie fullbodied spätlese from Prüm. Fine indeed. Give it time. Auction-price: 50,-€

Joh.Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling auslese 2005
Light straw. Nose quite equal to the spätlese, a little more intensity, some more minerality. Creamier and sweeter in the mouth. Yet remains elegant and structured. Very fine. Auction-price: 80,-/35,-€

Joh.Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling auslese goldkapsel 2005
Light straw colour. More shy nose here, some botrytis. Even more closed. Fullbodied and better structure than the auslese. Fruit very closed, but this seems very fine endeed. Auction-price: 180,-/75,-€

Joh.Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Light straw colour. Mineral nose, some botrytis. Fatter and sweeter in the mouth, botrytis seems well-integrated. Structured. Great wine in some years. Auction-price: 560,-/250,-€

Grans-Fassian Trittenheimer Apotheke riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw/greenish colour. More herbal nose even petrol, some botrytis. Creamy style in the mouth with some fat. Botrytis showing. Typical wine. Good, but it is hard competition today. Auction-price: 66,-€ (0,375L.)

Reinhold Haart Piesporter Goldtröpfchen riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. Nose is quite fruity and broad with hints of botrytis and blackcurrant-leafs. Fullbodied in the mouth. A little creamy style, but fine fruit and very well-intagrated botrytis, nice minerals hints and good structure. Nice now, but I would wait a little. Very fine wine. Auction-price: 125,-/70,-€

Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr riesling lange goldkapsel 2005
Light green colour. Mineral nose, lightly reductive, some earth, some botrytis. Sweet in the mouth, refreshing and fine structure. Long taste. Very good wine more on the elegant side. Well integrated botrytis. Auction-price: 160,-/72,-€

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr riesling spätlese -14- 2005
Light green colour. Herbal and mineral nose. Sweet but fine structure. A lighter spätlese, elegant, yet intence in the mouth. Good. Auction-price: 37,-€

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr riesling auslese goldkapsel -13- 2005
Light greenish colour. More botrytis in the nose, herbal and mineral. Fuller and sweeter style. Intence, yet elegance remains here. Better structure, fine mineral fruit with well-integrated botrytis (yes it's a vintage-thing). Very fine wine. Auction-price: 110,-/45,-€

Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr riesling auslese lange goldkapsel -15- 2005
Straw/greenish colour. Closed in the nose. Some mineral, some reductiveness, some botrytis. But fruit not really showing. More fat in the mouth. More concentration. But again closed not showing it's fruit. Less structure than the GKA. Auction-price: 160,-/80,-/€

Heymann-Löwenstein Winninger Uhlen Rothlay riesling auslese lange goldkapsel 2005
Straw colour. More honeyed nose. Intence, showing botrytis. Fullbodied and fat in the mouth. Sweet, a bit creamy, but fine structure. Fruity and honeyed. Quite layered and complex. Good length. Very fine showing here. Give it a little time to loose a little fat. Auction-price: 62,-€ (0,375L.)

S.A.Prüm Graacher Himmelreich riesling eiswein Nr.40 2004
Straw colour. Old-fashioned nose with hints of old woods, more botrytis, not as fine. Slight fat in the mouth, raisiny fruit. High acids and quite green, but it gives it a refreshing end and long taste. Not very refined though. Auction-price: 120,-€ (0,375L.)

Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg riesling eiswein Nr.48 2004
Straw colour. Fruity nose, some botrytis, old woods. Finer style here. Fullbodied in the mouth. Some fatness. More refined fruit, but again that acidic and quite hard finish. Refreshing and good length. Fine eiswein. Auction-price: 200,-/90,-€

Egon Müller Scharzhofberger riesling eiswein 2002
Yellow colour. Fruity and even mineral nose. Some petrol. Fullbodied in the mouth. Some fat. Fine fruit, fruity, but refined and showing mineral notes. Structured and long taste. Very fine eiswein. Auction-price: 1450,-/600,-€

Dr.H.Thanisch erben Thanisch Berncasteler Doctor riesling TBA 2003
Yellow colour. Much botrytis showing. Intence, also loads of fruit in the nose. Fat and rich styled TBA in the mouth. Much botrytis, but fine fruit. Fine structure and length. Great TBA. Very fine quality indeed. Auction-price: 700,-€ (0,375L.)
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Re: WTN: Day 10: VdP-2006 in Trier

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 am

Thanks for the notes. I very much agree with your impressions. The Scharzhofbergers were phenomenal. How come I didn't see you in the hall? You should have yelled or something...

Peter
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:14 am

I was only at the pre-tasting this year. You were there too??
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:14 am

I didn't make the pre tasing. I was not planning on a big investment, but I ended up with a bottle of the most expensive Spätlese I ever bought, by far...

Peter
no avatar
User

Arnt Egil Nordlien

Rank

Wine geek

Oslo

by Arnt Egil Nordlien » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 pm

So what you are saying is that you could not resist the spätlese from Egon Müller?? I must admit I envy you owning those bottles. It was a perfect Saar-spätlese.