The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2006 Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau

by Paul B. » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:01 pm

12.5% alc. Lovely, deep cherry-garnet colour; great saturation that reminds me of a young Ontario Chancellor. Sweetish candied-fruit nose; it smells very much like a young homemade wine that has yet to settle down and mature. Lively acidity all across the palate with lots of alcoholic heat and an expansive warmth on the finish. Slightly sweet, with a hint of cane sugar on the nose. All in all, though, it's actually well balanced and while simple, it worked just fine with tonight's garlic-rubbed pork roast.

This is good ordinary table wine at its best. :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Georges Dubœuf Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:06 am

Paul B. wrote:12.5% alc. Lovely, deep cherry-garnet colour; great saturation that reminds me of a young Ontario Chancellor....

Back in the early '80s, while bartering my time in exchange for grapes at a local winery, I made a Leon Millot Nouveau. The owner of the winery liked the concept so much the following year he made a Chancellor Nouveau. It was quite nice, as I recall.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:15 pm

My wife and I had one of these last night with Thanksgiving leftovers. We were not as impressed. Good color, I thought the fruit flavors were a bit odd. Our consensus conclusion? No need to buy any more of this.
no avatar
User

Scott Hinson

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Austin, TX

by Scott Hinson » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:12 pm

[quote]My wife and I had one of these last night with Thanksgiving leftovers. We were not as impressed. Good color, I thought the fruit flavors were a bit odd. Our consensus conclusion? No need to buy any more of this.[/quote

This might be my first post on the wine side...mostly I hang out on the food side.

We tried this last week, and came to the same conclusion. We tried it at all sorts of temps. The initial taste and aroma was nice, very fruit forward...but then.....it turned into something I can only describe as faintly reminiscent of cough syrup. Colder was usually better...but too cold and no flavor at all.

Not good enought to try another bottle, unless the one we had was bad...either heat damaged or corked....not sure I'm willing to spend the $ to try again though.

Scott