The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines for beginning of summer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines for beginning of summer

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Betsy is away coaching amateur quartets, Tuesday I had chicken breast and assorted vegetables, opened a half bottle of the 2010 Flora Springs Chardonnay (Napa). Decent acids, just a little oak, lots of pear fruit, but not very long. But for $7/half not bad value. B-

Wednesday was opening of our village’s summer music series. There is some seawall stabilization work at waterfront park, so concerts moved to Mercy College. Great views of Palisades, but not as close to river. Big concern is less shade, but it was 75 degree high Wednesday, so happy to sit in sun (on Astroturf!). I grilled baby octopus for a salad, and made a red bean/green bean salad as well. Others shared cheeses, pates, etc. We all shared wines

2012 Bart Marsannay rose
Red fruits, a hint of green herbs, nice midbodied rose. B/B+

2011 Colle Stefano Verdicchio di Metalica
Perennial winner. Beautifully balanced, ripe fruits but good acids, saline and nut notes. Great with the octopus. B++

2011 Le Canon (VdT, Syrah)
Apparently a Japanese winemaker in the Rhone. Grapey buzz made me guess cartbonic maceration, but Fred says just “Natural winemaking”. Earthy, a bit of funk, a touch of VA, but I like it. B

2011 Grand Metaire (Entre deux Mers)
Very grassy, a bit of catpee, I guessed it was mostly Sauvignon Blanc. Turns out it is 60% SB, 20% Muscadelle, and 20% Sauvignon Gris. Last surprised me, thought white Bdx had to be SB, Muscadelle, and/or Semillon. A bit thin. B-/C+

2011 Domaine Campagne Cabernet Sauvignon (VdP d’Oc)
Blackberry jam, rather clipped, boring and anonymous. C+

With grilled teriyaki pork, squash, and sauteed chicory, the 2009 Aurelien Verdet “En Luteniere” Bourgogne. New producer to me, this is very bright and restrained for a 2009. Crisp, raspberry and black cherry fruit, crunchy mineral finish. I’ll look for more from this producer. B+

With bbq turkey cutlets, watercress salad, and leftover bean salad, the 2011 Schafer-Frolich “Bockenaur” Riesling Kabinett. From sweetness more Spatlese than Kabinett, but still feels sprightly and light on its feet, nice for first day of summer. White fruits, citrus, apple blossom, very good acids, good length. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.