The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sparkling Shiraz, Faiveley Corton, Leeuwin Prelude, Eiswein

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Sparkling Shiraz, Faiveley Corton, Leeuwin Prelude, Eiswein

by Jay Labrador » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:16 pm

Just got back from dinner at Lemuria where we had the truffle omelet which was the subject of an earlier post requesting for wine matching ideas.

I had the turkey dinner (Thanksgiving menu) while my wife had the pork belly.

First course was was the truffle omelet. I decided to go with a Burgundy for this. Also tried this with a foie gras creme brulee.

Faiveley Clos de Corton 2001 - Nicely structured but closed nose for the first hour or so. Some cherry, very dry. Savoury. After an hour, beautiful nose of menthol and linement. Soft and well developed. Very good with foie gras but less successful with the truffle omelet. Can be drunk now but I suspect a long way to go before full potential is reached. Best to keep another 3 years or so.

For the main course we had the sparkling Shiraz.

Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz 1996 - Very dark. Bittersweet chocolate and espresso. Liquorous. Full bodied. Probably at peak now. Gently bubbling. Good match with turkey with apple relish and pork belly with a balsamico sauce.

On the house we had two wines-first was a Leeuwin and then a Grans Fassian Eiswein.

Leeuwin Estate Prelude Chardonnay 2004 - Orange on the nose. Some lime. Very gentle with some lactic character. Good to drink now. Not bad.

Grans Fassian Riesling Eiswein 1992 - Bad, crumbly cork. We had to decant this with a strainer. Color like weak tea. Honeyed but no longer intense. Still very good and probably has a few years left but I would drink it up as it's starting to fade in the finish.

We finished with 2 single malts.

Laphroig 10 year old - Very peaty, smoky, dry. Not my type.

Macallan 18 year old - Glorious stuff! What a great drink! Sweet and honeyed. Very fine balance and so easy to drink. My absolute favorite single malt.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Sparkling Shiraz, Faiveley Corton, Leeuwin Prelude, Eiswein

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Jay, I've not seen the Prelude before, just the regular Estate. Where does this bottling fit into the Leeuwin lineup?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi Jenise,

I believe it comes after the Art Series and before the Siblings.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:46 am

Did I miss where you said which Sparkling Shiraz it was that you tasted?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:22 am

Good catch! It was a Leasingham Classic Clare Sparkling Shiraz 1996. Thanks for pointing that out.