The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two from Edmunds St. John (R&G, Shadow)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Two from Edmunds St. John (R&G, Shadow)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:47 pm

2000 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel - USA, California (11/24/2006)
An excellent showing for this Rhone-style blend from Steve Edmunds. Leather, cherry, rosemary and earth fill both the nose and palate. It's very easy drinking (too easy). Delicious and very fine QPR. I would drink any more bottles of this now as it's so good.

2002 Edmunds St. John Syrah The Shadow - USA, California (11/24/2006)
Very good, but very young. Grapey, with more structure and deeper aromas coming out with air. Great purity. A fabulous value syrah.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Two from Edmunds St. John (R&G, Shadow)

by James Dietz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanx for the notes, David. I just received yesterday what I hope will only be the first of many snail mail ESJ newsletters. It lists some of the available wines, though not the Shadow, which I think was in the last email missive from Steve. I know I would order more ESJ if it was just a little easier to do so... like all the other enabling wineries do... to my CC's chagrin.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Indeed. At least if Steve could enable paypal it would make things somewhat easier. I would buy a ton of his wines if it was not so hard to do.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:12 pm

Exactly...Steve and others note that all that is needed is to pick up the phone and call.. and it is true, that is not so hard.. but one of those mailers that land in my mail every other week from some winery or other with an order form that one can use to calculate all the costs.. or even in his email messages, an attachment order form with a fax number where it could be returned or even return it via email would make it easier to spend.. .I know ESJ is low tech.. but.. sales could be increased sooooo easily, if you ask me... Or an ordering place on the ESJ website... something... if I were a computer nerd, I would offer to do it for them!!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:15 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2000 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel - USA, California (11/24/2006)
An excellent showing for this Rhone-style blend from Steve Edmunds. Leather, cherry, rosemary and earth fill both the nose and palate. It's very easy drinking (too easy). Delicious and very fine QPR. I would drink any more bottles of this now as it's so good.

2002 Edmunds St. John Syrah The Shadow - USA, California (11/24/2006)
Very good, but very young. Grapey, with more structure and deeper aromas coming out with air. Great purity. A fabulous value syrah.

David,
I posted a note recently on The Shadow and other ESJs and couldn't agree more with your assessment of The Shadow. Good now/fabulous QPR, and will benefit from a modest amount of ageing.
I have not ried the R&G, but hope to correct that oversight soon.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:20 am

A telling point is that the 2000 R&G is my least favorite version of that wine, and I still love it. The 2001 is just amazing, and an early taste of the 2003 is also very impressive.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:A telling point is that the 2000 R&G is my least favorite version of that wine, and I still love it. The 2001 is just amazing, and an early taste of the 2003 is also very impressive.

I picked up a 2002 the other day. Kind of wish I hadn't. I know '02 (the year of The Shadow) was a tough one for Steve, but the R&G just didn't make it for me. The back label hinted that - absent the usual Grenache - it might be seen as Burgundian rather than Rhonish. It reminded me more of a Chinon, but I regret to say not a particularly good Chinon.

I'm blaming nature, not Steve ...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:46 pm

I have not had any of Steve's '02s other than the Shadow. There's lots of '03, '04 and '05 on the way though so look out.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:55 pm

David, where do you get your ESJ?

I've walked down very few Cali isles at wine shops, and never seen any.

Do you mail order them?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:33 pm

JoePerry wrote:David, where do you get your ESJ?

I've walked down very few Cali isles at wine shops, and never seen any.

Do you mail order them?

Joe,
This seems to be a common complaint on the East Coast. I emailed the local distributor and got a rather snippy response. I was told they were readily available at a store I go to on a semi-regular basis. I went the next day and they were out. It seems as if it's not a big name brand thay can't be bothered. The system is screwed up and both the producer and the consumer get a raw deal. If I could find steve's wines easily I would buy them on a regular basis. I guess I will have to look into having them shipped to a friend in Virginia.
Cheers!
James
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Joe... the difficulty of finding ESJ wines, even here in CA, has been a common complaint. In fact, on another wine board (to go unnamed, but related to RMP... 8) ), there was a long and spirited debate about what ESJ might do to get its wines in front of more people.

Steve Edmunds, the owner and winemaker, is about as low tech as you can get. If you go to the ESJ website, there is no way to order wines. You have to call or send an email..there is no shipping info... etc. Steve has finally sent out a snail mail newsletter, but it is kind of a paper version of the website.

So... you are not alone. If you want to order, try Wine-Searcher.....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:42 pm

Joe,

Steve ships to me. The Massachusetts distributor is Violette. They focus on the Boston area, so they might help you out. I tried to get a response from them for my area and had no luck.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:13 pm

And I've discovered that Astor Wines in NYC is now carrying pretty much the whole range of ESJ wines. Picked up a Shadow there yesterday but I haven't opened it yet.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:29 pm

Thanks guys. I'm trying to get things together for my wedding in August (no invites mailed out yet) and am thinking about the Shadow for a good crowd wine.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Joe,
I had a bottle last night. The quality, style and price would be right, but I really think it shows better after it's been open a while, a logistical problem for a wedding. Others may feel differently. You might need to stick with the Monfortino.
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:59 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Joe,
You might need to stick with the Monfortino.
Charles

Well, if you want to share the wines saved for the wine geeks... :shock:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:23 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:Joe,
I had a bottle last night. The quality, style and price would be right, but I really think it shows better after it's been open a while, a logistical problem for a wedding. Others may feel differently.

I had the same thoughts. A friend got married last week and had asked me to choose the wine so one of my first thoughts was that the Shadow would be perfect, because of price and QPR. However, then the issue of needing something for pop and pour arose (among other things)..

However, if Joe is getting married next year, one would imagine the Shadow will be in an entirely different state of evolution and perhaps have calmed down.

Tough call.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:00 pm

You know what though...it's so grapey on opening that non-geeks would love it.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Joe, NH sometimes carries ESJ wines. If you use the Product Locator you have to search using keyword "Intuition" . The database has no knowledge of Edmunds but lists the wine as (for example) 38285 Intuition Syrah St John Cal 750ml