Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

Postby Joshua Kates » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm off to Paris next week for professional reasons, but I am of course looking forward to the food and wine. I'll be staying in the 5th, but I am willing to travel. Do fellow Forumites have any favorite wine bars or restaurants (and even shops), especially for older Burgundy and Bordeaux? (Having checked the prices I don't think I'll make it to La Tour d'Argent, despite Noel's seductive write-up. Taillevent has a brasserie that offers four wines by the glass for every dish on the menu that appears promising.)

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions,
Josh
Joshua Kates
Ultra geek

Re: Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

Postby Rahsaan » Thu May 30, 2013 10:29 pm

They don't necessarily have stuff going back many many decades, but compared to all the shops with nothing but new releases, Les Caprices de l'Instant (12 Rue Jacques Cœur (in the 4th)) has a nice selection going back to the 90s and in some cases the 80s at prices that are fair. Not rockbottom steals but not aggressively priced either. They focus on Burgundy, Bordeaux, Loire and Rhone.
Rahsaan
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lipton » Fri May 31, 2013 12:08 am

For wine bars, there's always Willi's; for funkier, natural wines you could try Le Verre Volé. Good food can be had at both places. My favorite shop in town is Caves Augé on the Boulevard Haussmann, but I wouldn't recommend them for aged Bordeaux or Burgundy. If you want to get some of Yvan Metras's Beaujolais or Overnoy Pupillin, however, that might be the place to go. For the aged wines, you might try Lavinia on the Blvd. de la Madeleine.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby Sam Platt » Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am

Josh,

If you get up to Montmartre there is a fantastic little wine bar called Le Vingt Heures Vin. They have a great mix of wines by style and age, excellent cheeses, a friendly staff and reasonable prices. Definitely worth a stop.
Sam

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are a small
matter compared to what lies within us" -Emerson
Sam Platt
I am Sam, Sam I am

Postby Joshua Kates » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone!

They are all very much appreciated, though yours especially, Rahsaan, as it is near where I will be staying and I don't think I could have ever found it on my own.
Unfortunately, I will be nowhere near Montmartre this time around, Sam (but perhaps in the future); and Caves Augé certainly appears formidable, as the French themselves like to say. I may well make it over there as well, Mark.

Again, many thanks,
Josh
Joshua Kates
Ultra geek

Return to The Wine Forum