The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 94 Pichon Lalande and others on Thanksgiving

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: 94 Pichon Lalande and others on Thanksgiving

by Marc D » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:44 pm

1994 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande
This showed well right out of the bottle and improved for the first hour or so. Classic nose of cedar, tobacco, a hint of leather and plum. Blackberry fruit in the mouth with medium body and refreshing acidity. Good length and some tannin remaining. I didn't notice any green notes. Not a blockbuster but highly enjoyable. I haven't tried all that many 1994s but this has to be a major success for the vintage.

2002 Cristom Pinot Noir Mt. Jefferson Cuvée
Tight, tight , tight. Only some volatile aromas and structure showing right now, the fruit is in hibernation. It didn't budge an inch over 4 hours. Hold.

2002 Overnoy Houillon Poulsard Arbois
This was dominated by brett, a big difference from the last bottle. It still had lovely balance and structure, but the wild strawberries were smoothered in barnyard funk. Bottle variation in no sulfur wines can happen, I guess.

2003 Flowers Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
Brought over by John. Very smooth glossy style pinot, no edges, dark ripe fruit and a hint of cola, sweet in the mouth, didn't notice the 14+ % abv. Some new wood but it seemed to be high quality and the oak flavors don't hit you over the head. Not my favorite style, but it is well made and everyone else at the table loved it.

2004 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Beaujolais Blanc
Maybe as good as the 2002 version. This was its usual understated elegant self. Great purity to the flavors, apple, lemon curd, some wet stones, and good concentration. Is there a better $11 Chardonnay?

2004 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Kabinett
This was a starter wine for Thanksgiving and served with a Thai style pumpkin soup made with a little curry and coconut milk. The wine was crystalline pure with green crunchy apples, slate and minerals. Excellent balance tonight between the acids and sugar. Highly enjoyable.

2005 Domaine Filliatreau Château Fouquet Saumur
This had pretty typical Loire Cab Franc flavors. Dark berry fruit, some green leafiness, wet cement. A little blocky in the mouth right now, some cellar time should help. Enjoyed this, and would purchase again.

2005 Domaine Pascal Aufranc Chénas Vieilles Vignes de 1939
Banana candy nose, some juicy sappy red fruit underneath. I had trouble getting past the bananas.

2005 Vietti Moscato d'Asti
We finished Thanksgiving dinner with a couple bottles of this lightly sparkling Moscato. It was delicious, sweet pear and apple flavors, not overly perfumy. A good way to end the feast.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: 94 Pichon Lalande and others on Thanksgiving

by David Lole » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks for the notes. I've enjoyed many a '94 Bordeaux over the last year or two. The Pichon is not one I've yet tried, but from your note, sounds like one to seek out.

The most annoying about French wine is the inordinate premium you have to pay for hyped vintages. 1994 still represents a good year for value.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:55 am

The 94 Pichon sounds nice. Have they been showing well for you? I have yet to open a single 94, afraid of getting it wrong, and I don't have many but they're of this general ilk--LLC, Montrose, etc. My plan has been to wait until Walt Carpenter tells me I can drink them, but of course I'll take any signal I can get.

Too bad about the Aufranc, but at least it proves we're calibrated, as does your note on the 04 Brun chardonnay. Lovely wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:24 pm

Jenise, the only other 1994 I've tried recently was the Pichon Baron. I liked the Lalande a lot more. The PB seemed tannic and hard edged, I don't know if it is closed or just not as good as the Lalande, which had more substance and less drying tannins.

Maybe David Lole or Walt could help more on the LLC or Montrose.

The Poulsard is a wine I think you would like (the first less bretty version).
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:45 pm

Well, maybe (crossing fingers, as I have three bottles) the Baron is just tight. I was presuming that they wouldn't be touchable until they were 15ish, and we have a few years to go.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:17 pm

I thought the '94 Pichon Lalande was nice but really tannic 2-3 years ago.

I got a little cow on the Arbois, but not a lot.

Love that Brun Blanc.

If you like Domaine Filliatreau you should try the '05 La Grande Vignolle.

Thanks, nice notes as always
no avatar
User

Nico Padilla

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 am

Tung Chung, Lantau

by Nico Padilla » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 am

Had the 94 Lalande sometime last year. Drinking well. If you look at the Decanter tracking of auction prices, the 94 Lalande is holding up quite well amongst second growths. If you're a believer in the efficient markets hypothesis, this might mean something.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:21 am

Nice notes and nice wines, and while I understand your decision, you would have peaked my interest quicker with a WTN: Houillon et al. in the subject line..

But that's just me..