The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 St Innocent Pinot Noir Shea (Special Selection)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2004 St Innocent Pinot Noir Shea (Special Selection)

by Jason Hagen » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:13 pm

2004 St Innocent Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard Special Selection 13.9% Alc. 50% new French Oak.
Instantly showing amazing aromatics. I love the way Shea Pinot smells. Toasty smoke blowing through flowers and vegetable patch. The texture is silky and oily. A nice burst of berries coats your mouth and then the sweet tannin hits. You need a rich food dish to interact with the finish of the wine. Even though your mouth is dried out quickly, the tannin doesn’t ruin the finish. Tons of stones and flowers continue on. There is also a small amount of roasted meat flavor. The mid palate still needs to integrate but in spite of that, this has lots to enjoy right now. 93 pts

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2004 St Innocent Pinot Noir Shea (Special Selection)

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 am

Sounds terrific. I'm in the process of accumulating various Sheas so I can get a handle on that "Shea Pinot" nose that everyone says is so distinctive. From St. Innocent's wine alone, I'm unable to isolate it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Sounds terrific. I'm in the process of accumulating various Sheas so I can get a handle on that "Shea Pinot" nose that everyone says is so distinctive. From St. Innocent's wine alone, I'm unable to isolate it.

Well to be honest I don't have a ton of Shea... I should say SI Shea. Shea is a Massive vineyard so there is variety.

Jason
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:53 am

Jason Hagen wrote: I love the way Shea Pinot smells. Toasty smoke blowing through flowers and vegetable patch. The texture is silky and oily.

I'm having some trouble understanding how toasty smoke is a Shea Vineyard characteristic. I usually associate it with the winemaker's use of toasted oak barrels.

I also wonder how a Pinot Noir with an oily texture can be so appealing as to rate 93 points.

What am I missing here?

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:10 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I'm having some trouble understanding how toasty smoke is a Shea Vineyard characteristic. I usually associate it with the winemaker's use of toasted oak barrels.

Sorry. Probably shouldn't have connected those two statements. I would say the toast comment is not connected to Shea. I don't know that I have precise descriptions for what I like about the SI Shea aromas. Other than I like it. I do every year. This wine is very young and has many young and primary characteristics.

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I also wonder how a Pinot Noir with an oily texture can be so appealing as to rate 93 points.

What am I missing here?

-- Clark

To each his own I guess. I don't think you are missing anything.

This would be in the context of Pinot Noir and not certain whites. Would you say Pinot Noir cannot have that type of texture and warrant an A rating?

Jason
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:50 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:
ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I also wonder how a Pinot Noir with an oily texture can be so appealing as to rate 93 points.

To each his own I guess. I don't think you are missing anything.

This would be in the context of Pinot Noir and not certain whites. Would you say Pinot Noir cannot have that type of texture and warrant an A rating?
Jason

I normally associate an oily texture with flabby wines that are low in acid. I suspect this particular wine does not have that problem. Rather, since your description of the wine also includes sweet tannin, I suspect you might be sensing a somewhat increased amount of glycerol, a by-product of the fermentation process.

All in all, this wine sounds very interesting. What is the retail cost of this 2004 SI Shea Pinot Noir?

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 pm

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:
I normally associate an oily texture with flabby wines that are low in acid. I suspect this particular wine does not have that problem. Rather, since your description of the wine also includes sweet tannin, I suspect you might be sensing a somewhat increased amount of glycerol, a by-product of the fermentation process.

Yes. Just bye palate and not science my guess would be glycerol. And SI wines are never flabby. Recent vintages are a little more forward but the acid is always there to hold the wine together.

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:All in all, this wine sounds very interesting. What is the retail cost of this 2004 SI Shea Pinot Noir?

-- Clark

The Special Selection was only available on "futures" and was $40. The regular bottlings can be had for around $34. There will be some increases in 05 but the SI wines are still bargins when you consider many lesser American Pinots and Burgundies go for double or triple the money.

Cheers,

Jason