The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Hug Cellars Syrah Bassetti Vineyard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

WTN: 2003 Hug Cellars Syrah Bassetti Vineyard

by James Dietz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:15 pm

• 2003 Hug Cellars Syrah Bassetti Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County (11/24/2006)

We have been so off big, over-blown, gobs-of-fruit CA Syrahs lately that I approached this bottle with some trepidation. Balance between the red and black fruit and the acidity. A bit of rustic feel in the mouth, that just made the wine easier to drink and enjoy. Not monolithic at all, so the wine actually was `interesting' to drink. We took this to Thanksgiving dinner, and everyone, including non-wine people, enjoyed it before and during dinner. For me, it was refreshing to drink, not a descriptor that typically comes to mind when I think of the CA Syrahs I have drunk recently (Alban is an exception to this blanket statement). (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2003 Hug Cellars Syrah Bassetti Vineyard

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:43 am

I brought only nine bottles home from Paso Robles, and this was one. Your notes bring much relief--some of the wines that were "more decent" there haven't tasted as good back here. In the tasting room I thought this had some major funk potential--you didn't notice any? Did you decant?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:59 am

Any idea how this compares to the ESJ wines from Bassetti? (I guess the refreshing aspect is a common factor, obviously in part vineyard based)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:36 pm

No decanting on this...straight from the bottle..

No funk, either. A Hug from an earlier vintage (2000) had major funk going on it... I think I remember Augie telling me that there had been some problem with the 2000 vintage. Lorena, who is funk intolerant, also had no problem with this.

I have no experience with any ESJ Bassetti, so no help there.. in fact, I have only had 3 ESJ wines.. a gap in my wine tasting I soon will try to fill.

Jenise.. as an aside, do you buy/recommend Swan Zins? I"m going to order a few bottles from them, so any recos in general are very welcome....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Jim, I love Swan zins and you will, too. Expect them to be medium bodied at best (pinot weight, and this is a good thing) and very very expressive of the vineyards they come from; also, they age well. We've got 94's that are showing beautifully.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:10 pm

Jenise.. any specific vineyard recos? and how about the Pinots.. I have been hearing things that make me think I would really like these...
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:48 pm

Jim, Rod doesn't make a vineyard you wouldn't like. My two favorites are the Stellwagen and Frahti. The Stellwagen is the more delicate of the two and has a lot of pinot-like Asian incense-y notes. The Frahti's bolder and quite spicey. But don't take my word for it, buy two of everything. :)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm

Jenise.. I'd need a sugar mama to be able to do that!!!!
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:43 pm

James Dietz wrote:...and everyone, including non-wine people...

James,

For some bizarre reason I kept reading that passage as "non-white people"! I thought it very strange that no one else saw fit to comment. :oops:
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

by James Dietz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
James Dietz wrote:...and everyone, including non-wine people...

James,

For some bizarre reason I kept reading that passage as "non-white people"! I thought it very strange that no one else saw fit to comment. :oops:

Is this Michael Richards??? :wink:
Cheers, Jim