The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White and Red @ Dinner...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White and Red @ Dinner...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Tried these two the other night:
1. Massican annia NapaVlly WW (12.4%; 54% TocaiFriulano from NichiliniVnyd/33% RibollaGialla from VareVnyd/13% Chard from Carneros) Calistoga 2010: Light yellow color; attractive floral/carnations bit saline/mineral/stony pleasant nose; lightly tart kight minerral/stony some tangy/lemony rather floral/carnations/pear blossom rather bright/racy flavor; med.long slightly tart some floral/carnations some rich/textured slight herbal/peppery finish; quite a nice-drinking white in sort of a Friulian style. $24.00
2. Donkey&Goat Syrah FenaughtyVnyd/ElDorado (14.4%l U; www.ADonkeyAndGoat.com) 2005: Med.dark color w/ little bricking; strong earthy/mushroomy/ElDorado light cedary/pencilly/oak some blackberry/Syrah/floral/violets slight peppery/spicy/cinammon/thyme/musky rather complex nose; soft/lush rather spicy/cinammon/thyme light earthy/blackberry/Syrah/mushroomy slight peppery/pungent strong ElDorado/Syrah flavor w/ smooth/graceful tannins; very long strong mushroomy/earthy/ElDorado some blackberry/Syrah some spicy/peppery/thyme/dried Italian spices finish w/ smooth tannins; probably as good as it'll ever get; rather attractive ElDorado Syrah some like the early SierraVista versions with some age on them.
1. Massican: This is DanPetroski's white blend that he makes up at Larkmead, where he is the Asst Winemakerr. His focus is on, more or less, Friulian style wines. I can see the resemblance to those wines in this blend. It was not quite what I expected of it. I had originally liked this wine for its brisk/zippy acidity and strong stony/mineral character. A year of age and the wine seems to have put on a bit of weight and developed some richness and texture from what I recall a yr ago. Still...awfully good drink white.
2. Donkey&Goat: Last week we had three vintages of the D&G Syrah from BrokenLegVnyd in the AndersonVlly. The '10 was painfully acidic. The '09 and '07 had not developed very gracefully and to very good Syrahs. So I was a bit worried as the if all my D&G Syrahs were heading South. Not to have worried, though. This was pretty tasty and displayed classic ElDorado character.
Tom