The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: More

by Mark S » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:59 pm

A.A. Badenhorst, Coastal Region, 2007
Red blend from South Africa (Shiraz 80%, Mourvedre 10%, Cinsault 7%, Grenache 3%). High-toned floral elements and smoked sausages, full of smooth sweet fruit, plums and cherries with a stern finish on the end, suggesting further aging wouldn't hurt. This tastes of the New World, but this is very well-made and balanced. 13.5% B+/A-

Inman, Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley, OGV (Olivet Grange Vineyard), 2006
Lightly colored. Mushroom and cherry-cola aromas. A very light California pinot noir, soft and smooth with cherry cola, strawberry, forest and cotton candy. Would drink up in the next 2-3 years if you have any. Good. B+/A- 13.9%

Fevre, Chablis, 'Fourchaume', 2007
Clean and pure, with a calcium wash, lime zest. My only complaint is it is not very layered. Simple. B+

Ridge, Geyserville, 2008
A muted nose of dusty black fruits. More revealing in the mouth, where restrained blackberries and ripe raspberry finish with sweetness. Definitely tasting the carignan component on this. Almost perfect weight. Has a restrained, delicious mouthfeel: zinfandel in a black suit and tophat. 14.8% (Zinfandel 72%, Carignane 20%, Petite Sirah 6%, Mataro 2%) A-/A

Francois Chidaine, Vouvray, 'les Argiles', 2008
Holy crap this is DRY! Typical chenin lanolin, wet wool and chamomile. Quite tart. Seems light in weight, so not sure how it will age. Take this out of the 'stickie' rack if you've placed it there. B+
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: More

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Mark S wrote:A.A. Badenhorst, Coastal Region, 2007
Red blend from South Africa (Shiraz 80%, Mourvedre 10%, Cinsault 7%, Grenache 3%). High-toned floral elements and smoked sausages, full of smooth sweet fruit, plums and cherries with a stern finish on the end, suggesting further aging wouldn't hurt. This tastes of the New World, but this is very well-made and balanced. 13.5% B+/A-

I don't buy much wine from South Africa, but thought the Badenhorst Secateur white wasn't bad, and just bought a bottle of the red from someone's (yours?) rec here

Mark S wrote:Fevre, Chablis, 'Fourchaume', 2007
Clean and pure, with a calcium wash, lime zest. My only complaint is it is not very layered. Simple. B+

I didn't find it as simple as you, I liked, but thought young, but with Fevre's pox rep not risking aging.

Mark S wrote:Francois Chidaine, Vouvray, 'les Argiles', 2008
Holy crap this is DRY! Typical chenin lanolin, wet wool and chamomile. Quite tart. Seems light in weight, so not sure how it will age. Take this out of the 'stickie' rack if you've placed it there. B+

I really love Chidaine, but find the lack of label info re style irritating in an Alsace kind of way. I made myself a cheat sheet based on my tasting and reports, but unsure how accurate it is year to year
sec
Choisilles
Argiles
(sec-tendre)
Clos de Breuil 
demisec
Le Bouchet
Clos Baudoin
Clos Habert
les Tuffeaux