The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine dinner featuring cuisine of Normandy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Wine dinner featuring cuisine of Normandy

by JC (NC) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:03 pm

St. Jacques French Cuisine in Raleigh was the setting for a wine dinner April 23rd featuring Normandy dishes. (The restaurant owner is leading tours to Normandy in June and September.) We started with an amuse bouche (a mousse over pork rillette) and E. Dupont Cidre Fermier.

The first course was braised ham with a brie sauce, roasted green beans, carrots, and potato. The wine was 2011 VERDILLAC, BORDEAUX. I believe this was mainly Sauvignon Blanc but may have had a little Semillon blended in. It was crisp and pleasant and I liked it better than most Bordeaux whites. I ordered a bottle which is now available to be picked up.

We then had a braised cabbage, sausage, and duck confit torte with Mornay sauce accompanied by 2011 Mouton Cadet Blanc (60% Semillon, 30% Sauvignon Blanc and 10% Muscadelle.) I preferred the first white.

After a palate cleanser of cider and apple sorbet, the servers brought out a petite filet Normandy with apple brandy bacon veloute', potato au gratin, and spinach flan. The red wine was 2011 JEAN-MAURICE RAFFAULT "LES GALUCHES," CHINON, LOIRE, FRANCE. I liked this Cabernet Franc wine although I have not purchased much from Chinon (I do remember a Chinon rose' I enjoyed a few summers ago.) It was raspberry flavored and smooth with a refined air. I ordered a bottle for later pickup.

Lil was not kidding when he said that we would fine Norman cuisine to be quite rich and not a time for dieting.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Wine dinner featuring cuisine of Normandy

by Rahsaan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:12 pm

JC (NC) wrote:The red wine was 2011 JEAN-MAURICE RAFFAULT "LES GALUCHES," CHINON, LOIRE, FRANCE. I liked this Grenache wine...

I think you mean cabernet franc! Was it that ripe?? :D
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine dinner featuring cuisine of Normandy

by JC (NC) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Sorry Rahsaan. I will edit.