The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Dessert Wines...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Dessert Wines...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 pm

We had these the other night w/ a lemon-scented pound cake w/ Mascarpone frosting:
1. Donkey&Goat Wayward Chard LateHrvst ElDorado (Picked: 11/30/11; SaH: 25.4 g/100ml; RS: 1.9%; "U & alive; keep it cool or enjoy the spritz") 2011: Med.light gold rather cloudy color; strong grapey/passito/concentrated slight R-like/valve oil some ripe peach/rotted apples/pear syrup light earthy complex nose; fairly tart/tangy grapey/passito strong peachy/rotted apples/canned pear syrup slightly sweet slight valve oil/R-like light earthy rather complex flavoor; very long intense grapey/passito canned pear syrup/peachy/stewed apples tangy/tart rather interesting finish; a rather interesting semi-dessert wine w/ a strong sweet/sour character. $24.00/500 ml
2. Chateau de Myrat AC: Sauternes (MeBaC; 14%) ComteJacques/Pontac/Barsac 2009: Med.gold color; very strong peachy/botrytis/apricotty/Sauternes classic butterscotchy/caramel/Sauternes/creme brulee lovely nose; quite sweet intense grapey/botrytis/peachy/apricotty tart light creme brulee/butterscotchy light vanilla/oak flavor; very long somewhat tart quite sweet intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty light vanilla/oak finish; lots of primary character and unresolved sugar but should be a really good Sauternes down the road. $42.00 (vSC futures)
1. D&G: This is Tracy&Jared's first foray to produce a dessert wine. From LateHrvsted ElDorado Chard grapes. I found this a quite interesting wine but not really suitable as a dessert wine..probably calls more for fresh/ripe fruit. It had a lot of character like conned pear syrup and stewed/confited apples.
D&G are, of course, one of sweet Alice's pride & joys because of the "natural" wines they make. The back label declares right-out "U & alive; keep it cool or enjoy the spritz". I take that to mean that the wine is not stable and is very likely to referment in the btl if not kept cold. Not many winemakers (except Tony Coturri) would knowingly put out a wine that is "alive" and unstable. So I have no idea what it'll evolve into when it starts to referment..but I wouldn't want to take that gamble.
2. Ch.Myrat: This is a Sauternes that SteveCostigan has been foisting off on our group for a number of yrs. And much the better for us. I've found this to be one of the most reliable Sauternes around and a great QPR. Steve got this for us on a futures basis. He done did good.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Dessert Wines...(short/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 pm

Unstable dessert wine could be explosive!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup.....

by TomHill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:12 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Unstable dessert wine could be explosive!

Yup...my exact thoughts, David. I could see the CO2 pushing out the cork and the wine running all over the place.
Fortunately, I have no more btls of it...so not a worry.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Yup.....

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 am

TomHill wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Unstable dessert wine could be explosive!

Yup...my exact thoughts, David. I could see the CO2 pushing out the cork and the wine running all over the place.
Fortunately, I have no more btls of it...so not a worry.
Tom

Would that be a "natural disaster"?
Decisions are made by those who show up