The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: EU Hammers Croatian Winemakers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: EU Hammers Croatian Winemakers

by TomHill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:19 am

Interesting article in today's NYTimes:
NYTimes:CroatianWines

on the EU forbidding two traditional Croatian wines:
1. Prosek (probably some carets in there) is a passito dessert wine made by drying grapes in the attics or straw mats. The Italians assert that wine would be confused for Prosecco. Yeah...sure.
2. Teran: The Slovenians object to a red wine the Croatians label as "Teran"...claiming it would be confused with their "Terran". This one is puzzling because Terran/Teran is a grape varietal name and, if the Croatians are making it from this variety...how could that be illegal?? The Croatians have long made Teran up on the Istrian Peninsula.

Seems the EU bureaucrats are dealing w/ piddling little problems when they could be going after bigger targets...like Burgundians labeling their red wine as PinotNoir.

Tom
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: NYTimes: EU Hammers Croatian Winemakers

by Peter May » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks for giving a precis of the article instead of just a bare link.

'Hammers winemakers' seems a bit OTT though, no country has to join the union and every member has, I suspect, had to make adjustments, with the earliest members getting the first pick of names/rights, though even they have had to adjust when newcomers with a better claim has joined.

Off the top of my head, France losingTokay d'Alsace, and Italy losing Fruila (though Italy recently pulled a coup d'main with grabbing the name of the grape Prosecco exclusively for itself).

I can see only the barest mention of teran and what the issue is - the paper doesn't say its an EU edict just that "Slovenia said Croatia had no right to produce and market [the red wine] teran."

If it's a name issue why would they need to stop producing it? Renaming it is all that is required...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: NYTimes: EU Hammers Croatian Winemakers

by James Roscoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Tom, you are comitting sacrilege against the Burgundians. I suppose you might also suggest that some Californian PN producers are following their example? :roll: :shock:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Peter May wrote:Off the top of my head, France losingTokay d'Alsace, and Italy losing Fruila (though Italy recently pulled a coup d'main with grabbing the name of the grape Prosecco exclusively for itself).
I can see only the barest mention of teran and what the issue is - the paper doesn't say its an EU edict just that "Slovenia said Croatia had no right to produce and market [the red wine] teran."
If it's a name issue why would they need to stop producing it? Renaming it is all that is required...

OTT?? Moi??? Surely you jest, Peter??? :-)

My impression is that the EU bureaucrats are more than eager to upold any kind of protest from a client state, no matter
how flimsy the evidence presented. But that's just my impression.
The Tokay d'Alsace and TokaiFriuliano case is one such point. The Hungarians objected to that usage as it would confuse those
wines w/ Hungarian Tokaji. Gimmee a break...where's the common sense here??
The Slovenes continue to use their name for that grape...Tokaj. Don't know if the Slovenians are not part of the EU or that
the Hungarians haven't raised the issue (yet).
Tom