The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Quinault L'Enclos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1998 Quinault L'Enclos

by Jenise » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:22 am

A surprise find in the cellar yesterday, as I believed all had been consumed: certainly, the last bottle about four years ago seemed OTH in a way that I would have rushed any remaining bottles into the Queue. Excellent bottle, especially compared to my expectations: roasted plums, coffee, beef boullion, chocolate and a hint of soy sauce. Seductively soft at first with silky tannins and low acid, but both show in time. Could cruise here for a few years, but that soy element in combo with the low acid has me worried and I would drink remaining bottles sooner than later if I had them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 1998 Quinault L'Enclos

by Tim York » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Wasn't Quinault l'Enclos subject to Rolland treatment in the late 90s and early 00s? If so, your TN is evidence that they can age gracefully with his methods.

I believe that more recently the estate has been acquired by the Frère/Arnault tandem, who also own Cheval Blanc. I think that they are a safe, as well as rich, quartet of hands.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 1998 Quinault L'Enclos

by Dale Williams » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 pm

roasted, bouillon,and soy aren't my favorite Bdx, descriptors, but glad you liked, bonus bottles are fun. I think this showed better than expected at a 10 yr retro, always fun to have prejudices upended.